Gambel Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fowlobsessed1, Mar 27, 2015.

1. fowlobsessed1

fowlobsessed1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2014
    Hi everyone. It was a tragic morning today when an eagle.....yes, an eagle, Crashed through my quail aviary and killed three of my gambel quail hens. Does anyone know of an eagle deterrent? I had that poultry netting on the top that I reused from my ringneck pen. I guess I never considered something like that happening. Any ideas for a sad girl in south eastern Pa? Also, the man that I bought them retired and sold his flock. Does anyone know Of a place I can get replacement hens? I know I am in a rough time of the season for adults, but any help would be super appreciated.

I am pretty sure that an eagle is my least favorite bird of the moment.

Thank you for your help!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh I am so sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

Are you using 1/2 or 1/4 inch hardware cloth on your runs and aviaries? I have had large Red Tailed Hawks dive right into mine as well and they can only just cling there because the hardware cloth is attached very firmly. This Eagle will no doubt come back looking for more. So make sure to sturdy things up.

I do not know of anyone around you that has any Gambels. These are such fun little birds. I hope you can find more soon.

3. fowlobsessed1

fowlobsessed1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2014
    I had a mesh netting that was for my ringneck pheasants. I never had any problems before and I didn't think twice when i moved it to my quail pen. I just got back home with 1/2" wire mesh. Hopefully tomorrow it isn't raining and I'll fix the pen.

I know eagles are big, but holy smokes he made my pen look small. Thanks for the support TwoCrows!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by