Gambels quail

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by blackhawk44, Nov 26, 2011.

1. blackhawk44

blackhawk44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    does anyone know where i can get gambels quail in the Phoenix Arizona area:)

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Here is a link the the Gamebird Breeders Directory. I am not sure anyone breeds them on this list but take a look.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5817690#p5817690

Don't you just love the Gambles Quail?? They run wild down in our deserts as I am sure they do in your area. When I lived down in lower altitudes and fed the wild birds, the Gambles would come to clean up under the feeders. Their little top knots bobbing out in front of them as they all came along single file. Their calls are just adorable. [​IMG]

If you are ever up near to this area and are going thru the Hondo Valley east of Ruidoso New Mexico, there is a gamebird farm that raises Gambles. I do know for a fact that he does not ship adult birds, however he would probably ship eggs to you. However you will have to wait until spring before they begin laying. Good luck in your search!

Maybe "The Critter Place", JoJo, will come along shortly and have some information. She lives in Tucson AZ and might have ideas for you.

3. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    blackhawk44 [​IMG]

I'm afraid I don't know of anyone breeding them either.

I owed a few years ago, but had gotten them from a feed store that is now closed/out of business.

I do know there were permits required , so you should check with game and fish dept.

If you don't find anyone near or in the directory... you could try looking on line for "gamble quail hatching eggs" or chicks.

They are amazing birds! My son and I were out hiking yesterday, and saw a huge covey.
    Ours were super tame for us, we could go out to the aviary and hold them, but would spook very easy with noises in the neighborhood, and strangers. We lost 2 to a broken neck from hitting the top of the aviary.

4. ODEY587

ODEY587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2011
    Theres a member here cathunter10 im sure he might be able to help you out!!! [​IMG]
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by