Gambel's/Valley hybrid-fertile or not?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by danischi24, May 29, 2010.

1. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets 9 Years

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    We have two females of this cross & some purebred Valleys in with them. Does anyone know if their eggs would be fertile with the male Valley or can we just leave them together with him because they aren't fertile. I don't want to have to separate them unless they are fertile because they all get along so well.

2. crash0330

crash0330 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Wow you have gambel valley hybrids, I would like to see that, can you post some pics?
    And regarding your question, Im not 1000% sure on this, but I think that a hybrid is when you cross 2 animals of different species, for example some people have chicken and guinea hybrids those wouldnt be fertile. But if you cross two animals of the same specie, in this case quails, I believe thats whats called a "cross" and not a hybrid there for I believe they will be able to reproduce.
    Ive read some posts of people who cross ringneck pheasants with golden pheasants and they say they are able to reproduce, since even tho there two different kinds of pheasants, the're still pheasant. And I would think with quails its the same.

3. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    They don't look much different from the purebreds. They are hybrids, not crosses, the species are not the same, just the family is.
    Animals of the same family can generally breed together eg. horse & donkey from the Equine family. It does not mean that their offspring will be fertile though eg. Mule.
    Some hybrids are fertile eg. European wolf/dog hybrid from the Canine family.
    Animals from totally different families cannot produce offspring eg. rabbit/chicken cross.

So...has anyone had experience with the Valley/Gambel's hybrid?

4. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
  5. danischi24

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Thanks-very helpful & informative reading. Doesn't look like they are fertile from trials though the writer thought hypothetically that they would be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: