Gamble and Mexican Speckled Chic Pics

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by CountryMom, Feb 11, 2009.

1. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    These guys hatched out last Thursday thru Saturday. I have 10 total surviving so far. Minor picking, but we have added some ferns and branches for entertainment and it is helping. These guys are in their brooder under a red heat lamp in the quail barn and absolutely full of themselves. This is my first ever Gamble chics and I just LOVE the way they have a top crest. I didn't realize you would see something on them as a chick, but it is there.

Here is a Gamble chick up close...
    [​IMG]

And here are a few in the corner of their box. You can see the Gamble chicks top crest or top knot as we are calilng them. LOL The one in front is the Mexican Speckled chick.
    [​IMG]

My Mexican Speckled Bobwhite pair...
    [​IMG]

And for comparison on the Bobwhite here is one of my Jumbos perching. He is about twice the size of the Speckled one.
    [​IMG]

2. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Awesome Pics! Are the Gambel chicks pretty flighty like the bobwhite?
    [​IMG]

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

lovely birds!

4. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    So far the gambles don't seem any different from the bobwhites or coturnix I raised before. The only thing I can tell you different is that they are hardy little guys. I have lost some of the Speckled ones, but these guys came out of the hatcher and into the brooder like they owned the place - with attitude cuz that crest up! [​IMG] Should be interesting to see how they develop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by