1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gamble chicks not eating it's been 24 hrs since hatch????

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gamblelover85, Jun 20, 2011.

1. gamblelover85

gamblelover85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    I was cleaning out some tumbleweeds one day and happened across a nest of 15 gamble eggs and while i had just cleared their shade i didn't want them to roast in the 120 degree weather we have here in Pahrump, NV. We've had them for at least 20 days we stopped turning them about 2 days ago and i noticed 2 of them pipping at 2:30 the afternoon yesterday. The two that are pipped aren't making any peeps or progress zipping whatsoever and i'm getting a little worried that they might be shrink wrapped or just not have enough energy to make it out. We didn't have an incubator for the first week and they stayed at around 90 degrees but once we knew they were alive we made an incubator out of Styrofoam and used some of the green plant bricks for humidity since they hold water really well. ever since that first week we've been trying our hardest to keep the humidity above 50 and the temp at 100 but occasionally it spiked. Since we stopped turning we've increased the humidity to 60-70. How should i handle this situation this is the first time since 5th grade since i've seen an egg hatch and am trying to do my best with all the info that all of you have graciously provided but i'm stuck and very worried. If i can get some help ASAP please please please [​IMG] *worried*

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. DomC

DomC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Las Vegas
    If the humity is right they should be able to chip there self out. It could be anytime. My didn't start to peep until they were out. You could be brave and peel the big end of the egg. I don't recommed it could cost him it life if you break a vein in the shell. I usuall make a small hole. Very risky.

3. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    My quail pip and then rest for a while. Hatching is a long process it can take a while, set back, grab some popcorn, and wait.[​IMG]

4. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    I am proud to say we have 2 new hatchlings the one seems a little bit on the lethargic side but we're giving him a water sugar solution to drink so mabye he/she will make it. I'm amazed at how little they are not to mention how fast it goes once they start zipping. My son loved watching it hatch. Thanks to all who tried to reassure me i feel a little better now knowing the process and seeing it full hand. I can't wait to do this again lol.

5. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    Forgot to mention in that last post that i'll put pictures up as soon as i get the chance. They're peeping like crazy.[​IMG]:woot

6. DomC

DomC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Las Vegas
    That's good to hear. [​IMG]

7. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    [​IMG]

8. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    I finally got pictures thankfully both are healthy so far but i haven't been able to get them to eat anything yet and i have to force them to drink water every so often. Is there anything i can do to help this along i don't want to leave them all night when they can't feed or water themselves. I've tried the foil trick but it doesn't seem to be working it's almost like their not even interested in pecking at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Maybe scatter food all aroudn the floor. I didn't see it in the pictures but if it's everywhere and they pick at it it might help.

10. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    Quote:We have Pine Shavings as the material for them to walk on and gamebird chick starter for food. Will they even see the food? If they ingest the pine shavings is it going to hurt them? We've raised lots of chickens over the years but we've never raised anything like this. Sorry if I'm asking to much but i value life and i don't want them to starve themselves just because i didn't do the right things. And we did try a couple of other methods we set a very shiny quarter in their feed dish and tried using a oatmeal lid cause it made different sounds. They seem to react more to the sound than the shiny things. I'm also using a wooden Crochet hook to peck cause i figured it looks almost exactly like a beak. If anyone needs pics just let me know and I'll get them up asap. Thanks for all the advise it's priceless.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by