Gamble chicks not eating it's been 24 hrs since hatch????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gamblelover85, Jun 20, 2011.

1. gamblelover85

gamblelover85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    I was cleaning out some tumbleweeds one day and happened across a nest of 15 gamble eggs and while i had just cleared their shade i didn't want them to roast in the 120 degree weather we have here in Pahrump, NV. We've had them for at least 20 days we stopped turning them about 2 days ago and i noticed 2 of them pipping at 2:30 the afternoon yesterday. The two that are pipped aren't making any peeps or progress zipping whatsoever and i'm getting a little worried that they might be shrink wrapped or just not have enough energy to make it out. We didn't have an incubator for the first week and they stayed at around 90 degrees but once we knew they were alive we made an incubator out of Styrofoam and used some of the green plant bricks for humidity since they hold water really well. Ever since that first week we've been trying our hardest to keep the humidity above 50 and the temp at 100 but occasionally it spiked. Since we stopped turning we've increased the humidity to 60-70. How should i handle this situation this is the first time since 5th grade since i've seen an egg hatch and am trying to do my best with all the info that all of you have graciously provided but i'm stuck and very worried. If i can get some help ASAP please please please [​IMG] *very worried*

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    the first pipped chick that i noticed has just started zipping i'm so excited i can't believe i actually got them to hatch i thought they were goners for sure

3. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    You'll have to post pics. They're beautiful birds.

4. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    Defiantly posting pics as soon as i get the chance they are so freaking adorable. One of them looks a Lil lethargic so we're making sure it stays hydrated with some sugar water. But other than that they're both healthy as far as i can tell as, I'm new to this I'm kinda still on a learning curve. But 2 more of the eggs have pipped we should see another couple of chicks real soon. And i do promise pictures soon. Thanks everyone for all the help this is a great forum for all things on the farm. [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    I finally got pictures thankfully both are healthy so far but i haven't been able to get them to eat anything yet and i have to force them to drink water every so often. Is there anything i can do to help this along i don't want to leave them all night when they can't feed or water themselves. I've tried the foil trick but it doesn't seem to be working it's almost like their not even interested in pecking at all.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Frizzle Farmer

Frizzle Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Calhan, CO
    So stinkin cute. They dont have to eat or drink for the first 72 hours. When people buy hatchery chicks, they are shipped at a day old and dont reach their new homes with food or water for 2-3 days!! its harsh, but they survive.

8. gamblelover85

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    Quote:From all the research I've done says that quail are different from chickens in that regard they need to eat and drink hours after hatching cause the yolk is so small that they don't have any of it left after they break free. Sorry but I've been doing so much research it's ridiculous.

9. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I always offer food as soon as I can. I've read quail eat on the second day, while chickens eat around the 3rd day...

10. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Boy, they sure are cute! Hope they perk up soon. The only quail I've hatched is Pharaoh and they popped out ready to go. Good luck with them - wish I could help. Maybe try giving poly vi sol without iron.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by