Gamble quail help

Discussion in 'Quail' started by FeatheryAttacker, May 26, 2019.

1. FeatheryAttacker

FeatheryAttacker In the Brooder

May 26, 2019
    Hey all!
    So recently family found a gamble quail chick abandoned at a party (parents didn't come back probably because of lots of small children). We don't have a brooder so we made a makeshift home for the poor thing for the night and tried to feed and give water to it before bed.

It only drank water and we only had chicken feed that we grounded up for it to eat but it refused to eat it. Little guy seemed fine yesterday and liked to be in our hands for warmth and quick naps. We left the chick overnight for a few hours but eventually I just took the chick with me to bed to sleep for a few more hours with my hand in a knitted wool beanie. It was shaking a lot when it was in my hand and seemed weaker now but its still pooping with some colored stool still.

Today, we recently bought a heat bulb and a tub to keep it warmer in since I googled(but feel free to tell me) that they need to be around 95 deg F when less than 2 wks old? We mixed water with the chicken food to let it have something at least to eat and drink at same time since its refusing to eat. Should I still leave a cap of water for it?? And should I just have kept it with some dry food?

Also I've heard I need gamefeed for the quail but havent got my hands on it yet since I couldn't find any at walmart. I avoided the medicated chick feed.

Do you guys think it was just temperature being the problem with the food right now? Im worried because the little guys chirps arent as strong as before but its falling asleep more under the light. I might need some more tips too. I've tried to put cooked eggyolk into it too and tapped the food many times and chick kind of follows but doesnt peck. It kind of just headbutts or pokes my fingernail (maybe nail polish?). 20190526_135359.jpg 20190526_135407.jpg 20190526_103238.jpg

2. Ntsees

Ntsees Songster

Jul 27, 2012
    It looks like it recently hatched. First things first - warmth (but you have that settled). Second, is water - use a pipette or something. Whatever you do, get it to drink because it's important. Last is food. Gambels hatchlings prefer insect protein and they transition to a vegetarian diet when they get to adults. Small meal worms (it's the movement) will definitely get it to eat if it doesn't eat high protein gamebird feed. I don't know if your local pet store has them, but the 500 count small/tiny mealworms will work.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  3. FeatheryAttacker

May 26, 2019
    Oh great! And constant temperature was a big factor in the feeding process since we used our body heat as a temp source before the heat lamp. I got a mealworm sunflower mix and ended up grinding it up more for it to eat and it's finally eating that along with the chicken feed for now. But definately will buy some gamefeed maybe smaller mealworms today for it since stores closed early yesterday.

Ive never been so happy to see so much baby poop from the chick this morning too. The buddy isnt chirping as much anymore though but is that because its not distressed anymore?

le_bwah likes this.
  4. Ntsees

Ntsees Songster

Jul 27, 2012
    As long as it's eating and drinking, you should be fine. Not chirping as much is a good sign it is comfortable.

FeatheryAttacker likes this.
  5. GiggleOinkQuack

GiggleOinkQuack Chirping

May 24, 2017
    Please keep us updated on how the lil sweetie is doing!! (I mean pictures are ALWAYS welcome too;):D love me some fluffy baby pics!)

6. FeatheryAttacker

May 26, 2019
    The baby is doing great then! We got some ge bird crumble instead of starter but lil guy is scratching the food now :wee

We are planning on getting it a little buddy soon because it starts chirping a lot when we leave the room. It doesnt want us to leave def will post more updates! Here is one picture of it in the morning. Will take some more soon! 20190527_103032.jpg

GiggleOinkQuack and 007Sean like this.
  7. FeatheryAttacker

May 26, 2019
    Okay so now we got the gamble a little buddy (button quail this time) because we felt bad that it started to miss us from all the chirping after we left.
    We tried to find a store that had chicks around the same age as the gamble and so we found one thats a week old. (Picture kinda hard to tell but size difference is close!) We were afraid the button would bully the gamble but turns out its the other way around lmao. The gamble keeps pecking at the button quail in the face. Will this pass soon? I dont want the button quail to lose its face 20190529_104224.jpg

8. el dorado quail

el dorado quail Crowing

Mar 24, 2019
    They probably won't play nice

CoturnixComplex likes this.
  9. CoturnixComplex

CoturnixComplex Crowing

Nov 16, 2018
    Ack! Methinks no friend at all would have been better than such a drastically different species in size and temperament. You may have to separate them so they can see each other but not touch.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  10. GiggleOinkQuack

GiggleOinkQuack Chirping

May 24, 2017
    Super jealous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: