gamble quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by snot, Feb 10, 2013.

1. snot

snot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    I have a pair of gamble quail when will they start breeding? anything I need to do to help ensure success.

2. dt1958

dt1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Down South
    How old are they ? From what I understand they are seasonal layers. I have two pair that I hatched out in mid May last year which makes them right about nine months old now. I'm told that in my area I should start seeing eggs in April.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2 They are seasonal layers and should start up sometime between March and May, depending on where you live. They are naturally desert dwellers and need more heat than most New World quail to get started with breeding.

Pair them off, one male to one female. You will most likely need to keep the pairs separate from each other during breeding season, (spring thru fall) as they are highly territorial. During the off breeding season, you can keep them c\all together. Their first year breeding season they will be less aggressive. As they age, they will become more aggressive.

They tend to be flighty, nervous birds. So it helps to put in some cut branches in their pens as hidey spaces so they feel safe and secure. This will also keep them from flushing up when frightened and hitting the ceiling.

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    a lot of the time ,first year hens are not fertile the second year they do quiet well though

5. snot

snot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    Thank you for the information. I'm not sure how old they are. Guy I bought them from had hundreds of them

6. snot

snot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    Should have waited a week to post I got their first egg today.[​IMG]

7. snot

snot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    I have three eggs from this pair how long can I store the eggs before setting them? Female only lays every third day. How should I deal with staggered clutches from only one pair.
    I have a incubator set up and running should I make a seperate Hatcher.

8. Ntsees

Ntsees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    You can do whatever you like, but I like to point something out. In the wild, the female will lay until she get, lets say, 15 eggs before she begins setting on her eggs. And we know that she doesn't lay every single day, so you can say that the first egg to when she sets will be more than 15 days old. When the hen quail sets, usually all 15 eggs make it at hatching time (have you seen a mother or father quail in the wild with lots and lots of chicks? That should give you an idea (minus the predation) as to how long eggs can last if the hen has good nutrition). That means that the eggs have a pretty good time frame before it'll no longer be viable to hatch. Keep in mind that nutrition plays a part too. Personal experience: I have waited one month on my mountains (from the time the first egg is laid) before I placed them in the incubator. Even with the one month wait, the very first egg still developed simultaneously with the rest. (fyi: do not apply this when selling or transporting eggs since I have no idea on the hatchability of old eggs)

Here is something I found on youtube (start counting):
    The chicks are of the same age and my reasoning how this could have happened is that both the male and female simultaneously sat on 2 separate clutches.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  9. snot

snot Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    A month is way longer than I thought I had. I thought I read ten days somewhere but maybe that was chicken eggs. Thank you that should make it easier to get a decent number of eggs before starting to incubate.

10. Ntsees

Ntsees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    I just want to let you know that my response was intended to let you know that although the eggs can last a while, it doesn't necessarily mean that you should wait that long. If you feel like incubating at 10 eggs, feel free to do so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by