Gambrel roof questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by triggfamily5, Aug 25, 2010.

1. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    I am building the following shed and making it a coop:

http://www.midwestmanufacturing.com/MidwestManufacturing/web/docs/pdf/12_EZ_Yard_Barn.pdf

The picture shows a roll-up door, but we are putting in the barn doors on the end, and it will have windows along with 2 roof vents (opposite each other on the roof) (something like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0BDGCT8WB1WFCV2TJAN4 )

Here are my roof questions:

1. Do I need to insulate the roof?
    1a. If so, how do I make the roof vents work for venting the building then

2. There is a lot of overhead space there, the design does not have anything to make cross members for a loft. Is all that empty space going to affect the ability to hold heat in the winter and cool in the summer?

I do know, I will not build this exact thing again, not only did Menards give us extremely warped material to work with, but it is not "EZ", especially when the foundation is a couple feet off the ground [​IMG]

Will be posting pictures of the progress this weekend...

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi triggfamily5, It really looks like a great building to start a coop with, but they never seem to give you the best wood for something like that which always makes it more difficult.

O.K. question 1: I would insulate the roof. It will help moderate the temperatures within the coop. If it were me, I would put in the thickest rolled fiberglas insulation that you can fit between your rafters. I would then cover all of that with some surface, what ever your preference (the chickens may be able to get to it and they'll almost certainly peck at it). It will be great in the winter, because I'm not sure how much snow will rest on your roof, given the pitch (please excuse me, its been a long time since I spent a winter in the north) so there will be a lot of heat loss there. In the summer time, the sun beating on that black surface could heat things up inside pretty quick. I was surprised to find that WY can get pretty hot at times in the summer.

Question 2: If you are going to use those vents, I would place one one each end of the building at a point higher than your highest roost. I'm not sure if those will be sufficient though. Hopefully more experienced northerners will jump in. I don't know if you've seen this, but here is a very instructive discussion on ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Good
    luck!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would cut out vent openings in the walls under the overhang section....several. They could be as simple as 6 inch wide strips in between the studs (didn't notice whether they were 12, 16, or 24 inch studs?) and tack hardware cloth over them for ventilation. You can always cover too much ventilation up in winter, but it's harder to go back and add a lot more ventilation for hot months (I'm kicking myself now, and I have two windows in my coop).
    If I lived in your area, I would insulate the ceiling at least. You could rig up an insulated drop ceiling that only gets inserted in the winter. We did one for our coop, but ours is probably a bit easier to work with because we have more height before our gable roof starts. But I definitely think it could be done...

4. triggfamily5

triggfamily5 Songster

Mar 30, 2010
    Moorcroft, WY
    I think I am putting soffitt? under the eaves??? I know that right now there is a 3-1/2" gap between the wall and the roof where they meet, and DH said that is where we put something (I can't remember what) but it's supposed to let it breathe, so one on each side would be 24' of it.

If I insulate the roof, won't that cover the holes I am making in the roof for the roof vents?

I am sorry if these are basic questions, but I don't build anything and DH and I are trying to balance ventilation with VERY cold and WINDY winters...

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I wouldn't put the vents in the roof, I'd put them on either end of the taller sides of the coop (e.g. above the door). They just need to be above the roosts. Don't worry about the questions, it's best to get it right the first time. [​IMG] I also understand balancing temp and vent, that's tough for you in WY. It would be nice to have something that could be easily adjusted for more or less ventilation depending on temperature and indoor humidity levels. Bring on the questions. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: