Gambrel roof...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nvmycj, Jun 24, 2010.

1. nvmycj

nvmycj In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Hey folks...

Well, the coop is on it's way!!! I'm sooooo excited!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I have the foundation 8'X12' done. Pictures to follow soon. One of the first of many mess ups I've already encountered is the my 4'x8' flooring sheets are just a little off. They're not flush with my floor edges,....maybe by an inch or so on. Pics to follow. Any suggestions would be GREAT!

My question---> Does anyone have any good suggestions for gambrel roof plans? I've searched the internet, but no specific plans.

Thanks guys!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. timp123

timp123 In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Georgetown, Indiana
    Quote:I found, as I was building mine.. and I would occasionally come across something not quite right, not quite flush... 1 thing kept coming to mind... "It's a Chicken Coop from recycled materials"

I find that my girls love it.. they're well protected from the weather & preditors so far.. and I have yet to stumble upon one of the Hens with a T-Square & Level checking a beam or wall.... [​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    For a gambrel roof, go get a book on building sheds (like, backyard garden storage sheds), they quite often contain plans for verrsions with a gambrel roof.

For gaps around the edges of the plywood flooring, I would suggest screwing-and-gluing 1x4 or 2x4s as a batten to cover the gap. (On the inside of the coop of course). You don't want to leave gaps like that exposed, as among other things they just *beg* for rodents to find their way in [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. nvmycj

nvmycj In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Okie, dokie! Thanks guys. I'm having fun doing it, but as a perfectionist, it difficult to find errors in my own work!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: