Game Bantam Rooster vs Rhode Island Red Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by c0dywhite, Dec 30, 2012.

1. c0dywhite

c0dywhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    I find myself VERY curious of why my Game Bantam Rooster which is approx 10 oz beats up & chases off my Rhode Island Red Rooster which is approx 10lbs.!? I don't understand it haha.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Pecking order status really has little to do with size of the individual bird. I have high status bantam hens amongst others of all sizes and many breeds; my flock is very "mixed."

Plus two of my bantam roosters have more status than any of the large fowl roosters EXCEPT the dominant roo.

3. c0dywhite

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    My flock is very mixed too. I have a couple chickens that I don't know what they are. The info that you gave me, does that have to do anything with when I feed the chickens they peck or chase another one off? Also when they are roosting I have a Barred Rock Hen that pecks the other chicken.

4. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

My 18oz Old Englisih Game Bantam Hens will chase my 9lb Cornish Game Hens right out of the coop. They actually jump up and kick just like the boys! It's got nothing to do with size and everything to do with spirit!
    But these are the same hens that will jump up on my shoulder and snuggle up against my neck, nibbling on my ear. They can definitely turn into little Divas, that's for sure.

5. c0dywhite

Dec 29, 2012
    Organ Cave, WV
    My chickens run from me, unless I have food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by