Game Bird Chow - O.K. for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Bought a 50 lb. bag of Game Bird Chow Startena for my quail ... long story short we forgot to get chicken feed and by the time we thought of it all the stores had closed. [​IMG]
    We're leaving tomorrow morning and won't be back until the next morning .. is game bird feed okay for the chickens? I'm also feeding it to a broody hen with 4 baby guinea keets. [​IMG]
    Thanks - [​IMG]

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I would say so as long as it is only a few days. I am using gamebird feed mixed with regular grower feed to boost the protien for my newbies. They were looking a tad on the small side compared to my first chicks and it has worked like a charm! A few days of high protien food shouldn't hurt a bit!

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Okay - [​IMG]
    Would it be okay to feed just that during molting season and stuf?
    Is it okay for guineas? On the bag it said guineas on there?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I was feeding mine gamebird feed from day 1 to death. I found they feather quicker and withstand weather extremes better. Some people feed beyond 30% protein poultry feeds to chickens. Personally I wouldn't go that far but your average gamebird feed is closer to 22-24% which I see no issue with. Protein is the most expensive part of feed so many animal feeds are not made with the ideal amount of protein but the minimum required to get what you want out of the animal.

Guineas benefit from more protein than chickens. It's recommended they be fed something like gamebird or turkey feed if possible.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:Me, too

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    A 50 lb. bag of game bird chow was $15.00 - do you think that's a good price?
    I was thinking about feeding game bird food in winter or something ...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by