Game bird crumbles for brand new chicks?

FisherMOM

Songster
11 Years
May 7, 2008
Bergen, NY
My hen's chicks are due to hatch on Halloween. I went to the feed store today to get chick starter and they only had the medicated crumbles . I did not want that, so she gave me gamebird crumbles and said it would be fine.

Does anyone know... will it be fine for brand new chicks? If not, I need to make another.. different feed store, run.

Last edited:
Sure, it's probably just higher in protein. Should be fine. If the medicated stuff was just amprol, you could eat that stuff yourself no problem since its just a thamine blocker that inhibits the cocci protozoa from reproducing.

Very high protein with growing animals can have bad long term side effects. What protein percent is it? Some gamebird starter is only 20-22% which probably wouldn't be that bad. Some is 28% which I wouldn't risk. Another solution which is exactly what I'm doing for nonmedicated grower is to mix the high protein gamebird starter with a low protein feed that also isn't too high in calcium. A flock raiser or all purpose feed works. Half 16% flock raiser and half 22% gamebird starter equals 19% protein and most chick starters are around 18%. You wouldn't want to use layer because the extra calcium is also harmful long term when given to growing animals.

I have a chick today... totally unexpected as this is 2 days early.

Not sure what percentage it is.

I am going to the store to get starter feed this morning.
I am kind of irritated with my local... 20 miles away.. feed store now.

This bag of crumbles says
"Wild Bird Feed" then in marker it says "gamebird crumbles".

the game food is better then the regular stuff
wink.png

Flip the bag over or look at the tag that should be stapled to one end. It will have a guranteed analysis with the protein content. If your tag is ripped off you can call the feedstore and ask them to look at a bag. I believe by law all products sold for food including to animals must have a guranteed analysis and ingredient listing.

Back
Top Bottom