Game Bird feed growing fancy breeds?

HH.Wench

Songster
Jun 24, 2018
SE USA
How viable is it to raise fancy peeps on game bird feed for the higher protein for growing out new feathers, overall growth, etc?

I have not compared the price with chick starter, but it seems to make sense to get the extra protein into them while growing and making all those new feathers.

The last batch of Silkies I bought were being fed game feed. Is this common? More economical?

Wondering if I should incorporate it into my laying hens feed also.

It isn't more economical, but it does grow healthy chicks. I like to use an all-flock, which is a little higher in protein than chick starter but less than game feed has.

I’ve bought game bird feed in mini-pellets and crumble. I’ve bought turkey starter (non-medicated) in crumble. And then meat bird grower in crumble. And all-flock In crumble and pellets. These are 28%, 24%, 22%, and 20% protein respectively. I’ve fed quail the game bird feed, not chickens. All available at my local feed stores.

You can add water to crumble to limit waste.

Some boost protein using dry cat food (but pay attention to salt content), or canned meat (ex. tuna), or fish food flakes, or eggs.

@ColtHandorf, Here are links to pages on two brands of feeds that I have had good luck with and have purchased. There are some more categories within these sites, but this will get you started. FWIW, I know you can get some of these feeds on other sites, like Chewy.com.

Gamebird
https://www.hubbardlife.com/game bird/game-bird.aspx

Game bird
https://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/products/poultry?category_tid=183

All-Flock
https://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/products/poultry?category_tid=148

We feed a 20% Kalmbach all-flock pellet to our mixed flock. We pay approx $14.25 per 50# bag at a feed store we can pick up at.

Good Luck.

@CatWhisperer - That is crumble. I was specifically asking for pellets.

@Acre4Me - Thanks. I'll look into them. I'd just like to be able to increase the protein the Orpingtons are getting in order to help them stay in good feather. The two feed stores near me have a very limited selection. I figure if I blend them with their layer pellet then the protein content will be somewhere in the middle and I won't have to provide additional calcium in the form of supplements.

@CatWhisperer - That is crumble. I was specifically asking for pellets.

@Acre4Me - Thanks. I'll look into them. I'd just like to be able to increase the protein the Orpingtons are getting in order to help them stay in good feather. The two feed stores near me have a very limited selection. I figure if I blend them with their layer pellet then the protein content will be somewhere in the middle and I won't have to provide additional calcium in the form of supplements.

Agree. We have some large birds, including very large BJG. In the past we had approx 35 quail among 6 cages. So, we needed the gamebird for the quail. But, with the large breeds we have and confining them primarily to a large run, we decided to go with a 20% feed as there is less fighting/picking when they have adequate protein. We supply oyster shell in s separate dish. In the deep part of winter, we will provide rehydrated alfalfa mixed with wet feed to give some variety and some greens. Alfalfa is usually a 16% min protein. I’ve read of others using canned meats (like tuna) or dry cat food (high protein compared to wet cat food), or fish food flakes as protein supplements. Meal worms of course, but they are apparently high in fat too, so not great in large/frequent quantities.

Good luck.

I’ve recently started fermenting mine. The chickens love it. Makes expensive feed go farther and doesn’t matter if crumbles or pellets.

The smell of wet chicken feed absolutely nauseates me. I didn't feed fermented feed fifteen years ago and I'm not going to do it now. I simply don't have the time, the set-up, nor the olfactory strength to put up with it.

I may call the mom and pop feed store to see if they could order in pelleted gamebird feed, but if not, I'll order some online now that I can find a source for it. Blending it should be alright I think. I suppose if I absolutely have to, I can offer a feeder with oyster shell...

I keep thinking about doing this with my English Orpingtons as they are large bodied and have a lot of large, loose feathers. I think it would help them with their molts. I detest crumble though, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a pelleted gamebird feed... I don't want to mix a crumble into the pellet although the way they went after the bowl of chick starter they found yesterday, they might prefer it...lol

Back
Top Bottom