Game Bird Feed - Need advice!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by churchx3, Jul 15, 2010.

1. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    I have been reading on BYC that some people use a Game Bird feed 22% in lieu of trying to accomodate different aged chickens with different types of feed (layers/non-layers) . I am having problems finding Game Bird feed here. (Hiram, GA). I was able to locate a grower feed at TSC with 24% protein...is this too high? My layers just started laying this week and the eggs are like jello...have put out oyster shell but thus far the chickens do not seem to be big fans...suggestions please???

2. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Grower feed would "work" but for what you spend on it, it's basically wasted protein. Do you have an Agway or have you spoken to your TSC about ordering it? Any feed mills?

We switched to game bird and the egg shells are certainly not the "titanium" ones we were getting on layer feed. I do have seperate oyster shell available. Hopefully we'll be switching to a soy free mix end of the month anyway, so it will be a short lived problem for me.

3. sommrluv

sommrluv Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Oh...I mix in corn to the game bird because the protein is so high- they don't need that much in summertime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by