1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Game bird habitat plants

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Silkie's Grandma, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Silkie's Grandma

Silkie's Grandma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    West-Central Wisconsin
    I am unsure where this should be posted - if I made the wrong choice - I appoligize in advance!

I am wondering if anybody has suggestions / experience of what type of plants / shrubs I can plant in a game bird Habitat, mostly to provide cover. (I just don't want to poison my birds with the plants)
    I have not had much luck finding any useful information on the internet, any suggestions?

2. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    usually birds of that variety dont eat shrubs all that often. They prefer insects, grains, grasses. Things like that. You shouldnt worry about what you plant when it comes to bushes and things. Instead worry about what you put on them. Such as pesticides. You shouldnt really put much pesticides out in your lawn or garden when you have free roaming birds cause if the insects get it on them they could poison the bird if enough is eaten.

3. Silkie's Grandma

Silkie's Grandma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    West-Central Wisconsin
    I NEVER use pesticides. I assume the birds will remove any bugs that get on the shrubs. (reason for checking on safe varieties of shrubs) these will be in a fenced enclosure - not free range (I live in a preadator rich area, from fox to birds of prey. I have even had hawks land on top of the fenced runs & try to get my birds in the middle of the day!

4. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Hi, you can plant a variety of things like tall grass, wheat, soybeans and corn (and not harvest) that will give them cover as well as food for the winters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by