Game Bird Permit

Discussion in 'Quail' started by outdoorpodcast, Jan 2, 2013.

1. outdoorpodcast

outdoorpodcast Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    I know that each state is different but am wondering. If I hatch some quail eggs and don't plan to sell them or the chicks, am I required to have a game bird license?? They will be for personal enjoyment and consumption. FYI, I live in WV.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What type of quail?

3. outdoorpodcast

outdoorpodcast Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    Coturnix.

4. UndergroundQuailRoad

UndergroundQuailRoad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
  5. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    In our state a license is only required for native species (Bobwhite quail are wild here and you can't raise their domestic mutations either). Coturnix and button quail you can, we checked into it before buying some a few years ago. Not sure if WV similar or more strict. Some states ban ALL quail.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You do not need a license for Coturnix quail. Only the new world species of quail, such as Bobwhite, BlueScale, Gambels, etc...

7. UndergroundQuailRoad

UndergroundQuailRoad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Just read another Coturnix Page on BYC (https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coturnix-quail-education-time)... Also was unclear about the laws of WV in the end, but has an extensive list of the various and variable state regulations. The laws vary so protect yourself by being skeptacle of here say and find out the truth. You could try and contact the author, but they list the DNR contact info, so why no hear it straight from the horses mouth?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by