Game Bird Starter Feed (Switch to Chick Starter?)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sk8inChick(en), Jul 25, 2013.

1. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Songster

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    I just got some week-old chicks yesterday, and at the farm they came from, they were given game bird starter feed, which has a higher protein count. I would like to switch them to medicated chick starter feed, and I'm not sure how to transition. I mixed a small amount of the chick starter in with the game starter, but I am unsure of the proportions to give of each.

If anyone has any experience or advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

2. You can switch them right away, or do 3:1 for a few days, then do 2:1 a few days, then 1:1, then 1/2:1, then just chick food. Higher protein is good for growing chicks.
    Live stock are much more suceptible to food transitions due to they need different bacterial, not so much chickens.

1 person likes this.
  3. Just switch them. We've switched starter feeds many times, mid course, and the chicks just gobble up whatever is provided.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Songster

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Thank you!
    The reason I want to switch is that I had heard that higher protein could cause pasting issues with chicks. There hasn't been any problem with that, but I assumed that chick feed would be best. Is higher protein a better option?
    Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  5. Higher protein = faster growing chicks. Up to you, chick feed is fine nutrional wise so if its what ya got, feed it to em ;)

6. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Songster

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Thanks! SInce these birds are pets, faster growing isn't that important to me. Thanks for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: