Game birds cold hardy??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PrinceSandwich, Jan 2, 2010.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Are game birds such as Maylays, Shamos, and asils cold hardy? I really like them but we live in AB Canada where it can get down to -40 [​IMG] so I need something that will live through the winter.

2. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I too would like to know. it doesnt get that cold where I live, but I would also like to know about game breeds. Do cornish count? they do have a thin aspect...

3. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    all depends on how you house them. Canadians have been keeping oriental, english, and irish gamefowl since at least the early 1900's

4. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    I know several up around the Michigan area who raise them. They have just started to lay again. They are pretty hardy all around.

5. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    there's also people breeding them in Alaska

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Cold hardy? No, but you can keep them if, as Vcomb mentioned, you house them properly. I do know of a breeder in Canada that keeps them, and also folks up north in the US: Michigan, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, etc...

7. naked_heels

naked_heels Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Des Moines, IA
    cold winter is very hard on all the game birds, especially oriental gamefowl since they are originately from warm weather parts of the world. Like Vcomb mentioned, they will make it thru the winter if you housing them properly. I have Thai, Thai cross Ganoi and Burmese and a pair of Brazillian, they cooped in 16x24 old insulated dog house. Lately the arctic weather really hard on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by