Game Birds (got a couple questions)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Puresilk, May 11, 2010.

1. Puresilk

Puresilk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    I am wanting to have a small flock running loose around the house to take care of ticks, spiders, etc...I am planning on having some game hens, but can I have a game rooster running loose with them without him trying to fight my silkie roosters through the fence around their runs? I want to have a rooster with them to be a guardian I guess you could say...also, will game birds last if there are dogs runnin loose? Can they survive runnin loose? And will a game rooster being with them be a problem with my silkies close by? Those are all the questions I have I guess....thanks [​IMG]

2. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

A game rooster will not like your silkie rooster but if there is a fence separating them it should be OK. I think the game roo will try to keep his hens away from the fence and he will worry more about his hens than another roo that can not get at them.

3. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    That is good, I think the game roosters are the prettiest roosters I have seen....are they bad to go after people? I Have heard all the horror stories about game roosters, but have no idea what they are really like...there WILL be a fence between silkie roos and any birds outside...and will game birds survive with dogs runnin around, probably one or two fo them will be dogs that will try to catch them...

4. naked_heels

naked_heels Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Des Moines, IA
    how old is your game rooster that you will introducing to the other flocks? if he still a young stag then I would just introduced him into the crowd, at first they will go at each other but after a while they will get used to each other. They might stop fighting if u spray them with water hose, The one that crowns will conquer the whole flocks.

5. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:As long as there is a fence between them, and the silkies are smart enough to not pick at him through the wire they should be alright. The game will occasionally rush the wire probably to get at the silkies if they're close, but that will be about as far as it goes as long as it isn't a type of pen he can fly down into with the silkies. Then you will have dead silkies on your hands, and it doesn't matter how used to each other they are if they're a true game.

As for towards people, games should be gentle but you have to pick and choose. Some people who own games like them to be manfighters (aggressive towards people) as they think this signifies gameness. But a true game cock in my opinion should be calm and gentle towards you, except there are some who are protective of their hens and may strike you if you chase them around a lot.

-Daniel

PS. As for them free ranging 24/7, I've had plenty of hens some upwards of 6-7+ years old running on the yard all their lives, and a cock that was 2-3 that lived on the yard. It all depends on the dogs, and how smart the birds are. That is without feed too, they just kind of take care of themselves.. But I do still toss feed every now and then just to watch the hens gather.

ETA: So I guess the best thing I can tell you is just get and see, if they're aggressive towards you or you don't like them- cull them out. Get some others you like. It helps if you ask the person you're getting them from more about them, like how gentle the line is etc..

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  6. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    I dont have any game birds at present time but I am considering strongly getting a small flock of young game hens with one rooster. I have a top on my silkie runs, so they cant get together, and hardware cloth up 18" high so they wouldnt be able to fight through the fence. Is there anyone around oklahoma city that you guys could recommend to get some decent games from? I know one old man that had a bunch but he used to fight them and I am sure they are the same line of birds, probably not the ones I want. ANy thoughts or suggestions?

7. JSGamefowl

JSGamefowl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    they should be ok with the silkies but i would put a pieces of tin around the bottom of the pen maybe like a foot an a half tall so that way you dont have to worry bout them fighting through the wire ,
    what kind are you wanting to get ?
    most people dont like manfigters so just ask who ever you getting them from if they would breed a manfighter, i personally dont like them to much trouble , but mine will come after you if you grab one of there hens to roughly , i have a few hens that have been running loose for a few years , they learn fast so if the dog gets one then the other will not get close to the dog lol

8. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    sorry

9. Puresilk

Apr 23, 2010
    Yale
    sorry, triple post

10. JSGamefowl

JSGamefowl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    they should be ok with the silkies but i would put a pieces of tin around the bottom of the pen maybe like a foot an a half tall so that way you dont have to worry bout them fighting through the wire ,
    what kind are you wanting to get ?
    most people dont like manfigters so just ask who ever you getting them from if they would breed a manfighter, i personally dont like them to much trouble , but mine will come after you if you grab one of there hens to roughly , i have a few hens that have been running loose for a few years , they learn fast so if the dog gets one then the other will not get close to the dog lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by