1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

GAME BIRDS REARING: QUAIL BIRDS

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Anneleng Junior, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Anneleng Junior

Anneleng Junior New Egg

Sep 22, 2013
    BOTSWANA
    GAME BIRDS REARING: QUAIL BIRDS
    Keeping of these birds is a diversification for chicken rearing as such the sector still have a lot of market and with a greater profit turnaround.
    FAST FACTS
    1. Quail birds are good source of eggs
    2. The birds do not require a lot of skills and technicalities to keep them as such it’s easy to keep the birds
    3. You will need less space to keep the birds as they require minimum floor space, thus to say you can keep 6 quails in a square foot floor.
    4. They don’t require vaccinations and the birds are robust to diseases.
    5. They reach maturity at an early ages. It takes a quail bird 6 weeks to reach early sexual maturity, thus they can start laying eggs in about 6 weeks to seven weeks of age with a rate of around 280 eggs per year.
    6. Nutritionally quail birds meat is tastier than chicken and has less fat content as compared to chickens. Moreover their eggs contain less cholesterol and together quail eggs and meat promotes brain development in children.
    Quail nutritional needs
    Basically the birds easily adapt to varied environment, and they don’t require more feeds as compared to their counter parts. A 5 weeks old quail consumes 500gms of feed and for the production of 12 eggs they only require 400gms feed.
    Incubation
    To incubate a quail egg is more of advantage as they take about 18 days to incubate and only care is crucial in the first 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Awe! They are so cute! Thanks for the facts :) I recently got 16 quail from a friend who didn't want to keep them during the winter. I have a pair of pharoahs, 5 italians, and 9 Texas A&M's. My favorite are the pharoahs. :) Quail are so cool, and their eggs are really tasty. I love all the little sounds they make :)

3. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Love your pictures!

1 person likes this.
  4. Anneleng Junior

Anneleng Junior New Egg

Sep 22, 2013
    BOTSWANA
    thanks guys, they are little cuties below are pics of the structure i have developed for them the other remaining spaces i used chicken wire mesh to cover

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Thanks lookin good!

1 person likes this.
  6. Anneleng Junior

Anneleng Junior New Egg

Sep 22, 2013
    BOTSWANA
    i am trying to make this a big thing and maybe earn a living fro it

7. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not trying to be rude but you have a lot of learning ahead of you if you want to raise quail commercially and be successful at it. If started an operation using the information you provided above your losses would be large. You'd have issues with disease, parasites, and aggression/cannibalism that would most likely cause you heavy losses. BYC has a lot of good info and any question you can think of about your birds has probably been answered here so it's a great place to learn.

Diseases and parasites have much more opportunity to incubate in cages with birds pack in like anchovies. Quail don't often get affected with either but they have no natural resistance to disease and parasites and will have high mortality rates if infected and not treated quickly. There are many diseases that can easily wipe out an entire flock so you have to know what symptoms to look for, so you an quickly treat any sick birds and hopefully mitigate your loss.

Spelling edit.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  8. Invision

Invision Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    Washington, Kitsap County
    I'm with DC on this one, one flaw from this post, if you keep them 6 birds per sqft they are going to kick the crap out of each other. Not to mention the amount of poop in the 1 sqft... I wouldn't advise anyone on following this for their birds. This is just cruel...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  9. Anneleng Junior

Anneleng Junior New Egg

Sep 22, 2013
    BOTSWANA
    i have not said i am keeping them in such a space here i was comparing the advantages between them and chickens as well in terms of diseases i have not said they cannot get diseases but in terms of probability and diseases infection compared to their counterparts its low.

10. Anneleng Junior

Anneleng Junior New Egg

Sep 22, 2013
    BOTSWANA
    anyway i stand to be corrected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by