game birds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Stephanie739, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    I am becoming interested in game birds...

Any thoughts or comments about keeping these? How are the eggs? Do they get along with other birds? Thanks.

2. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011
    maybe game fowl would have been better in the subject line [​IMG]

3. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quick Google search says they are easy as a normal chicken to keep. Heavy bodies and descent egg layers.... Maybe you need to do an experiment and keep us all posted!

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Eggs are just like other hens, but medium size and tinted. They dominate any barnyard type fowl, but generally well behaved, although spirited. Roosters are another matter. They do not play well with other roosters. They are not mean to humans, for the most part, as that has been culled out of them for decades. Nobody wants a mean gamecock as they are true athletes and could be dangerous, so whenever a manfighter shows up, it is culled immediately. I love any game breed, but am most partial to orientals, and Asils are my absolute favorites. Expensive to raise, but exceptional in every way, except they are not good layers. Most gamefowl are better layers than Asil. Check it out, you may love them...........Pop

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I agree with what Pop said 100% but would also like to add that Gamefowl are very addicting and once you get one you have to have more.

I have American Gamefowl and some Orientals and like them a lot.

Chris

6. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011
    Thanks!! I didn't know the names of breeds so a google search wasn't too helpful! I found Asil on My Pet Chicken....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by