\Game cam photo--Now you want to talk Bobcats--or wildcats.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by woodmort, Nov 10, 2011.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I thought some of you'd be interested in these.

First, these aren't my pictures I "borrowed" them from a friend's FB post but they were taken about 15 miles from where I live in Bainbridge NY.
    Second, the bobcat didn't kill that deer--while it could have if the deer was weak and the snow deep--it was a road kill set up in front of the game cam. And the cat came back twice to be photographed--once at nite and once during the day.
    Third, I've lived in this area for 50 years--in a rural area where I've hunted and fished all over--and only once seen a bobcat--a glimpse of one crossing the road between my house and the neighbor's.
    Fourth, note the tail in the second and third photo--that's the "bob" that gives it its name. I put in the last photo of a red fox standing on the body to give some size perspective. This is a fairly large one, BTW, probably a tom given its size.
    ETA: I have no idea as to the size of the deer--I suspect either a fawn or a yearly since the cat appears as large as the deer.
    Enjoy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    That is one big Bobcat! Thanks for sharing.

3. BuffyGRL

BuffyGRL Chillin' With My Peeps

That is one big brave cat. What intrigues me is it being out during the day

4. GreatPyrLover

GreatPyrLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC
    WOW!!! [​IMG] he sure is a pretty kitty though!!!!! Did he not ever eat any of the deer?

5. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Cool, love big cats!

6. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    How beautiful! We caught these 2 on our game cam!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I love bobcats. Saw quite a few when I lived in OK. Even had the experience of chasing one while on a fox hunt at Ft. Sill.

8. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    WOW, the bobcats I have seen in Va are much much smaller, and their coats seemed darker also, I'll see if I can dig up my pictures (remember the things on funny paper?) Of course 30 year old paper photos won't exactly tell the 'truth'. Thanks for sharing

9. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Beautiful! Bobcats do tend to be large in NY, or at least appear large as they put on a heavier coat than they do as you head southward. The populations are higher toward your side of the state but even still they are amazingly shy cats. The areas I hunt have them on game cameras regularly and I've found footprints in the snow but I've never seen one.

10. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Bob cats here are very small. Then again, so are the deer! That's one beautiful animal!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by