\Game cam photo--Now you want to talk Bobcats--or wildcats.

woodmort

RIP 1938-2020
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
I thought some of you'd be interested in these.

First, these aren't my pictures I "borrowed" them from a friend's FB post but they were taken about 15 miles from where I live in Bainbridge NY.
Second, the bobcat didn't kill that deer--while it could have if the deer was weak and the snow deep--it was a road kill set up in front of the game cam. And the cat came back twice to be photographed--once at nite and once during the day.
Third, I've lived in this area for 50 years--in a rural area where I've hunted and fished all over--and only once seen a bobcat--a glimpse of one crossing the road between my house and the neighbor's.
Fourth, note the tail in the second and third photo--that's the "bob" that gives it its name. I put in the last photo of a red fox standing on the body to give some size perspective. This is a fairly large one, BTW, probably a tom given its size.
ETA: I have no idea as to the size of the deer--I suspect either a fawn or a yearly since the cat appears as large as the deer.
Enjoy.
62375_bobcat5.jpg

62375_bobcat4.jpg

62375_bobcat3.jpg

62375_bobcat2.jpg

62375_bob_cat1.jpg

62375_bobcat6.jpg

Last edited:
WOW, the bobcats I have seen in Va are much much smaller, and their coats seemed darker also, I'll see if I can dig up my pictures (remember the things on funny paper?) Of course 30 year old paper photos won't exactly tell the 'truth'. Thanks for sharing

Beautiful! Bobcats do tend to be large in NY, or at least appear large as they put on a heavier coat than they do as you head southward. The populations are higher toward your side of the state but even still they are amazingly shy cats. The areas I hunt have them on game cameras regularly and I've found footprints in the snow but I've never seen one.

Back
Top Bottom