game camera?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Miss Lydia, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We want to purchase a game camera but are not sure which one. We were hoping ya'll that have them could give advise. Thanks [we just want one for here at our home to see whats moving around at night]. Price around $125.00 or less.

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I like moultrie there user freindly.The model I have is I45 GameSpy Digital Camera.

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I use the Moultrie Game Spy for deer. It's in color, takes video, uses a regular sd card, and it's very user friendly.

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Yup--I keep mine in a fairly permanent place and just change out the SD card which my computer will read.

5. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I move mine once a month or so. I had ten until some nut came through ripping them off trees. I caught him while I was setting in my stand. He had already pawned them, but he gave me what they were worth so I didn't call the cops.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Thanks for advise, I was looking on ebay and saw the moultrie not sure if it was 145 will have to look again what is a good price for one of the 145's? if you don't mind me asking. Thanks.

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Used or new?

8. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    i haven't had any luck using a game camera to see what's coming around my coop at night. I had the moultry ir55 at first at that really had trouble waking up from sleep mode. It wouldn't even catch me as I checked on my coop at night. The photos were phenomenal for the price.

Now I have the primose truth cam 46 and it wakes out of sleep much more easily, but still doesn't quite catch whatever is coming by. But it will at least catch me closing up at night.

I think that game cams are built to pick up motion directly in a narrow field. I think a deer at a feeder is exactly what these cameras will shoot. But, the coop is such a wide field so I struggle finding the right angle/distance for small, quick, nighttime predators. I don't know how to make it work for my coop. I'm thinking the concept of the plotwatcher is what I need, but the plotwatcher doesn't do nighttime shots. I don't know what the best solution is.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:new

10. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Basspro has them listed for a hundred right now on the website. That's a heck of a deal, you might want to check it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by