Game chick question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by nuttinfancy, Oct 23, 2013.

1. nuttinfancy

nuttinfancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Ambrose, GA
    Is there a way to tell the sex of game chicks when they hatch or within a few weeks? I recently hatched 7 and noticed that 3 have tail feathers and longer wings than the other 4. They are 11 days old today. I took a few pics to show the feathers. TIA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    No, I don't think that is a reliable way to sex game chickens. Some birds grow feathers in faster, or even hatch with more feathers--most of the time, this doesn't have anything to do with gender.

3. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Yes bantam lover is right. The only time you can use feather growth to sex chicks is if you have a parent with the slow feathering gene and the other parent with the fast feathering gene. The males of that will feather out slower than the females. Other than that, you will probably just have to wait and see. :)

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

5. nuttinfancy

nuttinfancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Ambrose, GA
    Thank you all for the responses. It was hopeful wishing as I decided to not keep any more roos so the sooner I learn the sex, the easier to part with them ( yeah, like I really believe that). I am already attached to these little charmers! Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by