Game chickens, help me identify color pattern

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by seedcorn, Feb 19, 2008.

1. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    My G'father had a flock of games. A guy use to give him a new rooster every year. The one of interest (my dad would not allow me to bring a young rooster home) looked like a BBred w/black neck feathers instead of red. That was almost 40 years ago, so memory a bit sketchy. I've never seen that color again. Anyone that raises OEG bantams know of anything like them?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Sounds awesome, but I'm not sure of the color name. I'll give this post a bump, maybe someone will know.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    could it be brownred? Try Ideals oegb online site they have all the colors and then some for sale with pictures(drawings)

4. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    bb reds are brown and black-ish h/o ill get a pic for you

5. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    [​IMG]

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    He is a pretty boy! [​IMG]

7. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Could be a couple different color types. If it was solid black, could be a dark fowl like warhorse, sid taylor, black shuffler, etc. If it was black hackled (neck feathers) with a "brassy" back, then it could have been a brass backed albany, etc....it is hard to say since many of these names relate to families/strains of fowl, and gamefowl can come in about every color of the rainbow...ideal hatchery has quite the assortment of oeg bantams, might check them for a color reference...

not a great pic, but you get the idea...
    brassy back...
    [​IMG]

8. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    warhorse, (all pics borrowed from friends to illustrate color description)...

[​IMG]

9. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    So it was basically a black bird with red wing bars and red saddle? There are hundreds of colors of game chickens, Ideal has like 45, check there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by