Game Hen defends her chicks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cgmccary, Sep 21, 2013.

1. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I was in my coop cleaning cages. I heard a hen screech loudly in the pasture. I looked up and saw my game hen who has month old chicks meet a large Cooper's Hawk (an adult female) head on. I was sure it had a chick in its talons. She beat the hawk off and even flew up in the air after it when the hawk took off. I counted the chicks and all were there. The game hen is not that large-- the hawk looked larger. She is a Brown/ Red and is molting so even looks smaller than usual as she has no tail right now.

I would not known it happened had I not been outside at that moment. I have always said that my game hens never lose chicks and I let them free range. Some of this is luck I know but a lot of it is that game hens are aggressive mother hens.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

another example of just how amazing chickens are. Sounds like your game hen is a fabulous mother hen.

3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Cool! I got several game hens and they are the most skittish, most chickenist birds I ever had...until they get broody, then they're the meanist, baddest, most evil little birds, attacking anything & everything that moves.

4. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

LOL - The motherhood instinct.

5. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2013
    I'd like to have some of those! ...as long as they don't attack me. :)

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Seeing that we eat more chickens in a day than coopers hawks kill in a decade a broody game hen will treat you in the same manner if she sees you as a threat to her chicks, just like a rooster will flog you if he sees you as a threat to his hens.. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

This behavior has been bred into game chickens for 1,000s and 1,000 of years. I have never heard of a 4 pound brown red game hen killing and disposing of her owners body. What are you frightened of?

I am constantly amazed that there are people posting here who are chicken of chickens.

7. MamaDoodle

MamaDoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Tennessee
    My Coop
    :clap A round of applause for your hen! What a great girl! :clap

8. Triple Willow

Mar 1, 2013
    FYI, not frightened just prefer to keep my eyeballs - common sense. I won't keep any chicken that makes a habit of attacking me or anybody else - common sense.

9. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    The Constituation grants us the right to bear assualt chickens! I'll give up my chicken when they pry it from my cold dead fingers.

10. Triple Willow

Mar 1, 2013
    LOL I wonder if anybody has ever been sued over their chicken attacking and hurting somebody. I'm sure it's possible these days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by