Game hen losing her top beak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Keet, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Keet

Keet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    My neighbor has a game hen that showed up as a "stray" a few months ago. Yesterday morning when it was time for the chickens to go out, my neighbor saw this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On close inspection, it looks almost like there is a smaller "nub" of upper beak. Do chickens actually shed their beaks? Will this little girl be ok? What is the best plan of action for her?

2. Friend of Feathers

Friend of Feathers Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2009
    East Central, MO
    I don't really know if her beak will grow back, just thought I'd give you a bump. I would like to know the answer too. I have a hen that is missing the majority of her top beak. She manages to eat well enough, but it makes me sad to see her pecking around the yard knowing that all she's doing is jabbing the ground with her lower beak. [​IMG]

3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    It won't grow back i will say that.

Now for treating it, i will say i've never done it/had it happen. However, she will have troubles eating and probably drinking. A few people i know suggest trimming the bottom beak back as well so it matches up, or culling her. But that is when the beak is actually broke off, it looks like in this case it's just a outer "hull?" which with that i don't think you have much worry.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  4. Keet

Keet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    As far as trimming the lower beak... how would one go about that? Any other suggestions from others?

5. barngem

barngem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Apparently she must be eating if she has been there a few months. Was her beak like this all the time or just recently? I cant tell is the beak broken or is it like she has an extra piece growing?

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:i've heard of people using files, toenail clippers, and the clippers for dogs. I think they also make clippers just to trim the beak/toenails back.. But can't say where/if you can find them.

7. Keet

Keet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    No, her beak was found like this a few mornings ago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by