Game hen? What is it?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kyotto, Oct 14, 2015.

1. kyotto

kyotto Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2015
    Bought this hen at the auction on weekend. They told me it is a game hen. Is that a bread? She is faster and more agile than other hens. I'm worried she will not be very social and harass the other two hens I have. Any thoughts, words of advice? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    A lot of people raise different game fowl... just put game fowl, game breeders or games in the search bar and you should find many threads with lots of people who know more spefic details about the breed...

And yes, she is a Game hen, and it is a breed... not sure what variety though...

1 person likes this.
  3. kyotto

Oct 2, 2015
    Yes, I searched already. What I saw is that there seem to be a lot of variability - colors, behaviors, etc. Occasionally I see pictures that looks exactly like my hen, but so far no details about what this particular kind - just general info. Also I see several kinds of "game" hens, it seems like a broad category... (I'm new to all of this, so apologies if I say some nonsense).

4. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    No need for apologies when you're looking for info... :)

Personally, I only know some basics about Games... but I believe the different kinds are classified partly on the colors but also on the lines the come from, but I'm not totally sure on that...
    I know they are extremely hardy and if they go broody they are usually excellent mothers... as for socializing, I really don't know... maybe keep her separated from the others, but close enough to see until they get used to each other... then see if they will live together peacefully... other than that, I'd suggest posting on one of those threads to ask more knowledgeable people... :)

1 person likes this.
  5. kyotto

Oct 2, 2015
    Looks like it is American Game. Reviews are quite good, so hopefully she will integrate well!

1 person likes this.
  6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I hope so! Good luck! :thumbsup

1 person likes this.
  7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    She's an American Game hen. :eek:)

1 person likes this.
  8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

She'll probably be the top hen in the pecking order. If you free range, she'll be the best at finding food and avoiding predators. She won't necessarily be a stellar layer, but she'll be a great momma hen if you're so inclined to let her brood chicks.

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Michael

1 person likes this.
  10. kyotto

Oct 2, 2015
    You make me a bit more optimistic! Thanks folks! I think what you are saying is exactly right. I can see that she is more nimble then others and she is a flier. Was not sure if she is ready to leave the coop and go into my small yard. We've just tried that and she did well - went with other hens and they all came back to the coop! Yes! Now she is also getting closer to other hens and I just saw them sitting together on the roost. I'm beginning to be optimistic that they will all get along fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by