Game Hen's Breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RhodeRunner, May 6, 2009.

1. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is Charlotta a hen given to me from a freind as a chick, whom got her from a freind, whom got her from a hatchery. She is a wonderful bird, and has hatched out a few chicks for me. She has rather long legs, and isn't bantam sized. If you could identify her breed that would be great.

Thanks for your help,

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Old English game hen.....is my first thought and probably what she is. or Maybe light brown leghorn, with a single comb & white ear lobes.Good luck, she's pretty!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
  3. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Im going for a hatchery junglefowl, she is a little off for a old english. most people can't tell but anyone who's owned both know what im talking about.

4. RhodeRunner

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I have a neighbor that raises red/yellow junglefowl and his birds are a little smaller, don't have the long legs, and are a little dumpier. But, I suppose anything is possible from hatchery stock. Red Junglefowl also seem more common then OEG standards.

However, she does look a lot alike my OEGB B.B Reds only in larger form.

I will tell her that she is pretty (again) lol. But, I think she already knows it, the roosters basically droll all over her.

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  5. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
  6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:i ordered a trio from ideal poultry about 4-5 years ago, One hen came fairly small. the bantam type.. The other was identical to your bird there.

7. RhodeRunner

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Quote:She really does, only a little bit plumper. [​IMG] Hmm... so many options.

8. RhodeRunner

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Quote:i ordered a trio from ideal poultry about 4-5 years ago, One hen came fairly small. the bantam type.. The other was identical to your bird there.

Well, then it seems likely that she is a Red Junglefowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by