1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Game Hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Preservation Acres, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I've added a game hen to my flock today after the regular quarantine ritual.

All is well with the girls (I have only hens) and it was a surprisingly easy pecking order reshuffle.

She's very nervous and graciously bows to the bottom of the pecking order.

Can anyone give me insight into this breed? Any special attention?

She's beautiful and very healthy.

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have a buttercup/game hen mix. She is my favorite. She's the smallest, gentlest, sweetest chicken I ever met. Her eggs are actually as big as a store boughten egg. I can't say that she is the bottom of the pecking order. No one challenges her. She doesn't challenge any one. No one hurts her except the cockeral when her tries to...but that's because he doesn't know what he's doing yet. So he ends up just pulling her neck feathers. Everyone is very nice to her. Never pecks her. [​IMG]

3. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Thanks for the reply. She's having culture shock for sure. My other hens (Australorp, Golden Comet, NH Red...) are very calm. She's a flighty thing, but if you can get hold of her and pet her some, she'll actually fall asleep on your lap.

She's sleeping with the girls now, but she refuses to get up on a roost. She's laying in the wood shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by