game hens?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by okiemamachick, Feb 27, 2015.

1. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Hello I believe I remember reading somewhere that game hens were excellent mama's and we're prone to going broody. Does anyone have experience with this? I have a small flock now of two leghorns, 4 EE, and a welsummer rooster. PLUS 8 babies in a brooder that should all be pullets and 13 eggs in the incubator today is day 7. I will be either ordering from a hatchery soon or from someone on here because I'd like to add some hens that are broody (or likely to go broody) such as silkies or buff orphingtons or game hens? Anyone have experience with game hens? Are they good layers?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Game hens are VERY broody. They are seasonal layers, meaning they do not lay well in the winter. A good broody will lay a clutch of eggs, set on them till they hatch, raise those chicks and then when the chicks are old enough, leave them to take care of themselves. As soon as her body has recovered from brooding, she will lay another clutch and and set again. Some members report hens brooding 3 sets of chicks per year.
    Not all game hens will get along in a flock, some of them are very territorial, to the point of fighting with other hens.

Editing to add - these statements are generalities, like all breeds of chickens, every hen can have her own personality. I have enjoyed the game hens I have owned.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. okiemamachick

okiemamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the reply! I wonder if any one game breed would fit my needs better than the other? I'm having a hard time finding a way to get ANY chick's to where I don't have to order 25 I guess I'll have to wait till warmer weather I'm being impatient lol the minimum order for bantams is 25 right now from my preferred hatchery so I'd have to order a bunch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by