Game or Something Else???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by alogue5173, Feb 25, 2013.

1. alogue5173

alogue5173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    Can anyone tell me are these some type of game chicken or something else? They all have the steel/slate legs and small weird combs. They are colored kinda like golden campines but are fiesty like gamebirds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The roo (1st and 2nd pic) isn't very colorful for a roo...could it be his big boy feathers haven't come in yet?

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    they look game and I am not seeing a rooster in any of the pictures, hens can get spurs too if thats what makes you think you have a rooster in these pictures

3. alogue5173

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    I did not know hens could get spurs. I was really puzzled by this as he/she doesn't look or act rooish and no crowing. However it does have rather impressive spurs. I thought it was odd that my alpha roo didn't attack him. He usually can spot a roo a mile away and goes into attack mode, but he didn't give this bird a second glance. Thanks for the info. I thought the rounded saddle feathers and absence of pointy hackle feathers was a little suspect for it to be a roo.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Game hens are one of the breeds more likely for hens to get spurs. They're great foragers and mommas, and scrappy little things!

5. alogue5173

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    Yes they are! They wake up in the morning looking for a fight and wont back down even when my big girls are getting the better of them. My big girls usually just get bored with them and just walk off...lol

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    my dad had a game hen whos spurs grew up and almost in to her legs, we had to keep them trimmed so they didnt hurt her

7. alogue5173

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    I am debating now whether I need to go ahead and start trimming. They are already curving upward. Don't want her injuring any of my other hens when she gets the urge to fight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by