Game over if you get a Respitory disease?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Countrypunk92, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    I have read a few threads about people depopulating flocks and not being able to sell or show chickens because their birds are infected.

So my question is, If my flock was to get a Respitory disease, Would that mean I would have to cull my flock and start over to show or sell chicks?
    Or could I still treat it?

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    It really depends on what disease you you get. Some are all over the place, some are so bad you want to start over after disinfecting and waiting months to get more birds. It also depends on your plans for your birds. You can vaccinate against several things, but that leaves you a carrier flock. It really all depends on the flock owner and what you want. In cases where you have unthrifty birds, carrier birds and often sick birds, I would just start all over. If it is a super rare breed you have invested your life savings in, you might try to treat and then breed out the week flock members over a long time. Everyone will have a different opinion. Check out Purple chicken on here and watch his video. He depopulated once and he regretted it afterwards. He has some really good advice on his video if you can find it. Good luck. HenZ

3. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    I have had birds get a respitory disease, I treat it and then never see symptoms anymore, unless I bring new birds into the situation, then I just treat them. But now I have 7 small coops so every breed is seperated.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What I would do is to send one for necropsy to see exactly which disease it is. One person found out it was intestinal parasites (treatable) when she investigated.

The ones that result in a carrier status for the survivors- the kind thing to do is to never sell until you have depopulated (and some will even pass through the egg to the chick).

5. Countrypunk92

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Quote:Ive never lost a bird to a disease.. ive only lost them to injury, pred, freeze( we had a very cold night few weeks agox killed off a few silkies) or coccidiosis, and I treated them. I just dont want to get rid of a whole flock that I worked on for so long and spent so much on .

6. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:

7. GreenMeadows

GreenMeadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Depends on what they might get? there are lots of different respitory issues. MG and its in your flock for life. ILT and you are screwed! The state will watch your flock for a year or better and you can t show or sell. Be careful because if you are tested and positive for ILT even if you put your whole flock down-THE STATE STILL MONITORS YOU AND YOU CAN NOT SHOW! It will depend on the state you are in though.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by