game people set me straight, please!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kari_dawn, Feb 1, 2012.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Can someone please tell me the difference between OEG and American Games? [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Historically Americans came from Old English, but beyond that, Americans usually vary more because most are bred for fighting, not show, thus you have different named lines and most of them are squirrel tailed or with tails carried somewhere between 50-90 degrees above horizontal.

American Games are found with a much closer dubbing in males, beyond that it is a bit hard to say any true differences because they do vary. There are different leg colors, comb types, body shapes/carriage, tail expansions, etc.

So in a nutshell, American Games are basically a large group of birds very similar and originating from Old English, but many Americans are still bred more for fighting purposes than show. With that in mind, they vary, especially according to their lineage.

3. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    So, that is the only reason an American game would be more closely dubbed than an OE? And what do you mean by squirrel tail? Is that like more than 90 degrees above horizontal?

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    90 degrees or more. It's a disqualification for any breed in showing, but common in American Games.

The close dubbing is for fighting, yes, but I believe (don't really know though) that Old English are dubbed less harshly for both protection from frostbite to the points and also for a more appeasing look. I don't really know the reasons for Old English dubbing style though, I just know that it shouldn't be too close the the skull, and usually just lops off the points and makes for a finely drawn curve on the comb. American Games are most often down almost to the skull, where you just don't even realize they ever had a comb.

5. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    oh, cool! I was wondering about squirrel tail after reading about it in the marans thread...I have so much I wanna know! This place rocks, and your wealth of knowledge is amazing. Thank you Illia!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by