Game plan review

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cleo624, Jan 30, 2014.

1. cleo624

cleo624 New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    CO
    Hi. We are getting out first batch of 5-10 chicks and 3 ducklings mid to late February. We ordered the ducklings from a local feed store and they are getting in a large shipment of chicks around the same time. We built a coop last spring and have had adult hens that a friend pawned off on us. So we are familiar with the ladies just not the babies. Here is our game plan and any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have 2 of the high walled totes (approx 2 ft wide and 4 feet long. We are hollowing out the lids and placing fine metal mesh across. We will have a heat lamp at a 45 degree angle with a 100-175 watt bulb or a heat lamp bulb...whichever will keep the temp at 90-95 underneath for te first day and then gradually taper off by 5-7 degrees each day. We have a little waterer with marbles in the bottom as well as a water bottle to attempt to get them trained early to use a poultry nipple. Should we put the feed and water really close to the lamp the first few days or on the other side. We also have a small perch/roost for them. They are going to live in the upstairs bathroom in their totes for the first 6 weeks then we plan to move them to our gagare which is really a sound proof music studio turned wood shop. I was going to put them in a larger brooder made of large boxes in the sound room so they won't be bombarded by noise and dust if the hubby should do some woodworking. Our last frost here in CO is usually the first week in May or so. When should we move them to the coop? We have a heat lamp in the coop now for the ladies that goes off every 2 hours right now at night. We shut the "trap" door a night and it is insulated too. Should we buy a heating plate to put in there and have it run all the time when we put the new gals in? And don't worry we are not mixing the old flock with the new after all the posts I've read on here :) any suggestions would be great. I will post a pic of out coop when I get to a computer. We are still in the process of building our predator proof duck hut too :)

2. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I would decrease the heat by 5 degrees every week not every day. I don't put my food and water by the heat lamp. I would play it by ear on the heat plate your chicks will be fully feathered out by then but you never know how the weather will be. You may only have to use a heat lamp at night. Good luck on your new flock. [​IMG]

3. cleo624

cleo624 New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    CO
    Oh ha ha yes I meant every week :) thank you for the advice and luck! I appreciate it a ton!

4. cleo624

cleo624 New Egg

Jan 27, 2014
    CO
    [​IMG]
    pre chickified
    [​IMG]
    chickified :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by