1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

???game Rooster???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mikenmt073, Sep 3, 2010.

1. mikenmt073

mikenmt073 New Egg

Aug 6, 2010
    i was given this bird when my great uncle died. it was supposed to be a game rooster but his comb doesn't look right. His sickle feathers were broken off when i got him and he is molting so sorry for the bad shot. Does anyone have any guesses as to his type or breed? new member, first post! Thanks everyone!
    [​IMG]

2. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Beautiful American Game Rooster.
    His comb is very typical for AMG as most have there combs cut.
    He is what is called a gray, breed I couldn't tell. Some go by color of leg.
    Some of the breed names are Hatch, Butcher, Law. Its been years so this is all I can tell you.
    Also any standard hen you cross him with will be great brood hens. If he was mine I would get him some black Australorp hens.
    [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Nice golden duckwing American game.

4. mikenmt073

mikenmt073 New Egg

Aug 6, 2010
    hey thanks for the replies! his comb confused me because ive never seen one like it before.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Hello! He's gorgeous!

6. mikenmt073

mikenmt073 New Egg

Aug 6, 2010
    thanks! [​IMG]

7. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    Okiehen, hit it right on the nose. I would dubb him, and put him in a show.

If you will repost on the Breeds, Genetics, & Showing- "show off your games" someone might tell you a little more in depth.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    The cock is not a American game, or at least not a pure one. I have never seen a pure American game with that type of comb, which looks walnut. They may show up in various variations of pea (triple)/straight (single) comb. And some birds even have Spanish gamefowl in them, so I would expect rose combs are able to come into play though it is very, very, uncommon.

His body is awfully bulky, and when I look at him I see "Brahma". But I do agree, he most likely has American game in him, and if you crossed him to a feather legged bird (Silkie, Brahma, D'uccle, etc) I'd bet they started throwing feathered legs (if part Brahma). (From my understanding, feather legs don't really show in first generation since often the parents both have to have the feather legged gene because "though it can be dominant" they're recessive genes. It would be expected to possibly get sparse feathering in F1 I do imagine though, but it would be nothing like they should be.)

-Daniel

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  9. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    He is beautiful. [​IMG]

10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I agree with Daniel.
    The OP's bird is not pure American Game..
    The OP's bird is looks very large in the body and has the wrong comb type for a American Gamefowl..

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by