Game Starter VS Gamebird Chow?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LivingRootsFarm, Jul 18, 2011.

1. LivingRootsFarm

LivingRootsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Samsula
    Hello! I am still new to quail and have been reading ALOT of the questions and post. A lot of you recommend Gamebird Starter because of the higher protein levels. This is what I have been using and have had three out of five hens start laying. Just curious though when I was at the feed store the guy told me that since the hens have reached a certain age that they should be on the chow not the starter. But the chow is only at 20%. I still bought the starter because I didn't what to change anything since that has been working fine and they are laying.

Just curious is the gamebird chow more of a multi purpose feed for all type of gamebirds? And I should I continue with the gamebird starter? Did this guy not know what he was talking about?

2. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Keep them on the starter. They do better with more protein, keep doing exactly what you are. [​IMG]

3. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:X2

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    MUCH OF THIS MIND FRAME YOUR SEEING COMES FROM LARGE GAMEBIRD FARMING TYPE OF BACKGROUND... MOST SPECIFICALLY BOB WHITES AND RING NECK PHEASANTS. FARMS THAT RAISE THESE BY THE TENS OF THOUSANDS FOR HUNTING PRESERVES DO OR DID THIS AT 1 POINT IN TIME... START WITH 28-30% STARTER, THEN 24% FINISHER/ CONDITIONER, THEN 20% LAYER/ MAINTENANCE FOR THE BREEDERS HOUSED OVER THE WINTER( KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE AND ARE EMPLOYED AS "SEASONAL LAYERS" AS NATURE INTENDED- WINTER IS THEIR OFF SEASON)~~~ NOW HERE'S WHERE THE REASONING COMES INTO PLAY= A. IT WAS ORIGINALLY CHEAPER, AND B. THEY WERE NOT MEANT AS LONG TERM PRODUCTION STOCK, NOR ARE THEY USED IN A YEAR ROUND CAPACITY

TODAYS FLAWS WITH THE MASTER PLAN ABOVE... A. THERE'S LIL OR NO APPRECIABLE DIFFERENCE IN PRICE TO THE AVERAGE HOBBYIST... IN FACT THERE'S NO APPRECIABLE PRICE TO ME AND I BUY IT A TON AT A TIME DIRECT FROM THE MILL... AND B. HOBBYIST DONT RAISE THEM TO BE SOLD AS SHOTGUN FODDER IN MASSIVE QUANTITIES. EVEN IF THIS IS YOUR GRAND SCHEME- SEE A. AGAIN [​IMG]

NOW MANY FOLKS HERE FEED ANYTHING FROM END OF THE RAINBOW TO THE OTHER. THEY'RE YOUR BIRDS... DO AS YOU SEE FIT. REMEMBER, THEY ARE NOT CHICKENS. THEY HAVE EVOLVED IN MANY DIFFERENT WAYS TO MEET THEIR INDIGENOUS NEEDS OR NICHE IN NATURE SO THEY HAVE A MUCH DIFFERENT DIETARY SET OF RULES TO EXIST BY. GAMEBIRDS IN GENERAL NEED MORE CONCENTRATED PROTIENS AND NOT ALL TYPES ARE READILY DIGESTABLE TO THEM AS MOST ARE TO OTHER POULTRY, THEY NEED LESS FIBER AND LESS SALT, MORE MINERALS AND COMPLETE B SPECTRUM VITAMINS~ MOST ESSENTIALLY B12.

NOW YOU SEEM LIKE A WELL ADJUSTED AND SELF THINKING KIND OF INDIVIDUAL, LOOK AROUND THE WEB, FIND INFO AND MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION.

A HARD AND FAST RULE I HAVE LEARNED IN LIFE... THE FOLKS MOST LIKELY TO LIE TO YOU= POLITICIAN, FINANCIERS, FEED STORE CLERKS, ADVERTISING COMPANIES HIRED BY FEED STORES... AS TO WHY THEY LIE? GOD ONLY KNOWS FOR SURE, BUT MONEY SEEMS TO BE THE 1ST ROOT OF ALL EVIL [​IMG] SOUPED UP CHICKEN FEED (FLOCK RAISER) AND 1 SIZE FITS ALL STARTERS (DUMOR ) ARE LIKELY CANDIDATES TO START WITH. YOU CAN FIND A WEALTH OF INFORMATION ON PURINA MILLS WEBSITE OR NUTRENAS EITHER 1, THERE MAY WELL BE MORE TOO- READ LABELS AND COMPARE AND MAKE YOUR WELL INFORMED DECISION

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:DITTO X 857.23 Billion!

It's not really that hard.
    NEVER TAKE FEED ADVICE FROM ANYONE THAT WORKS IN OR OWNS A FEED STORE!

6. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    X 3.141592654

JJ, I hope you are saving that in notepad to copy and paste, very nice answer.

7. LivingRootsFarm

LivingRootsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Samsula
    Thanks for the responses and especially to JJ! And I couldn't agree with you more on not trusting bankers and politicians!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by