Game type birds breeds - picture heavy

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kathryn173, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Kathryn173

Kathryn173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    im looking to find out what type of game these birds are. Are they pure or a mix of different types? they're about 5-6 weeks old now.
    i had bought a silkie hen to sit on eggs and the guy already had 5 game eggs below her and said to take them anyway, so i put them in the incubator and they all hatched. he had a couple of other game birds for sale so ive included their pics at the bottom, they may or may not be the possible parent birds. i had originally thought they were bantams due to egg size but the adult birds dont look like bantams in the pics and the chicks are a lot larger than other bantam chicks i have.

Bird #1 - chipmunk striped as chick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bird #2 - chipmunk striped as chick

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bird #3 - yellow/grey chick had grey patch over shoulders, has greenish legs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bird #4 - yellow as a chick, had a slight grey tinge to it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bird #5 - yellow as a chick, had a slight grey tinge to it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Birds 2,1,4
    [​IMG]

Birds 2,3,5
    [​IMG]

Birds 1,4,3
    front 2,5
    [​IMG]

these are some of the possible parents *the pics arnt mine, i just took them from the advertisement*

pyle hen
    [​IMG]
    just said game hen
    [​IMG]

blk red rooster
    [​IMG]

thanks for any help.

2. Kathryn173

Apr 26, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Also im in the uk, not sure if it makes any difference

3. Kathryn173

Apr 26, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Anyone have any ideas?

4. JShubin

JShubin Overrun With Chickens

Its hard to tell what the chicks are, but considering you are in the UK I would guess, Old English game or possibly Irish Game. I know Irish games are known for their white feathered fowl. The grey color might be a result of mixing Red Pyle with Black fowl. Best to ask the previous owner what breed they are, although I suspect he/she was mixing breeds/strains.

5. Kathryn173

Apr 26, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Thanks, I thought they were probably just mixes.

6. Kathryn173

Apr 26, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    I just thought I'd show an update on what the chicks are looking like now...I think they're about 19-20 weeks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Thanks for the update!

8. JShubin

JShubin Overrun With Chickens

They look great!!! Glad they all turned out healthy.

Surprised to see the pea comb on the rooster. Usually OEG have straight combs. Cant tell if white rooster has straight or pea yet.

Have the two roosters fought at all yet? They are getting to the age where that might happen.

9. Kathryn173

Apr 26, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    They all seem to have pea combs, just a bad pic of the white. I'm only guessing for the hens because there is absolutely nothing on them still.

The roos had a squabble at about 8 weeks and the white one drew a little blood so I bitted him for 3-4 days and they have been fine since. They're out with about 8 other roos in the yard and all seem to keep to their own hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by