Game-type pullet

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ariel301, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I got four pullets and a cockerel like this from a local farm, they have a ton of them. The roosters are all a gorgeous deep red except for two dark brown/black/white speckled ones. The hens all look just like this one, sort of a dusty tan. American game, maybe? I'd like to go back and get a whole mess of them, these things are free-ranging machines! I can't keep them penned up, and I'm not feeding them at all. I'm not sure how I'll get these things to lay in the coop lol, but they are surviving despite all the predators, and they don't seem at all bothered by the extreme heat here. The previous owner did not know what they are, she just calls them "desert chickens".

[​IMG]

2. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

I do believe that the birds you have are a type of American Game crosses because the gals that I have look similar to her pattern when they were pullets. You can look at my page to take a look. I have standard types in addition to OEG Crosses that either are small in stature or large. They were all given to me by friends or caught when they were dumped by my home. They are awesome hens. But if they are ranging around they tend to hide eggs and procreate like c to get them crazy then it just gets annoying. So I implore you to get them accustom to caging so they don't get out of hand. You have a pretty picture of your pullet too.

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    The hiding of eggs and making chicks like crazy is why the original owner gives them to me for free lol. She is a vegan and does not eat chickens or eggs, so they are useless to her. I don't know why she has them, she doesn't even like chickens lol...but for me, it's a good trait, I want birds that will free-range and raise their own offspring because feed is expensive and I have horrible hatch rates in my incubator, and it's just one more chore that takes up time, but I do need the chicks...I'm working on breeding a line of laying birds that survive out here in the desert around predators, can mostly feed themselves, and are good mothers, so this plus my Old English bantams are really going to be the foundation, and then I will mix in breeds that are prolific layers to try to get a good balance of broodiness and laying. These girls are getting close to old enough to start laying, so I need to figure out a way to get them to lay at least in a consistent place I can find all the time. Maybe I will put nest boxes near my hay stack, as that is their favorite hangout.

I do have a good coop/run with a roof over it, and I don't know how in the world these things get loose when I manage to get them in, because chickens smaller than them never get loose. I think they've just got such a strong wild gene in them that they can't stand being behind fences, their parents have been free-range only for many generations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by