Gamebird disease & poultry

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GD91, Jan 6, 2014.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    This isn't one of those "can I keep quail & chickens together" threads.

This is one of those "my quail & chickens won't stay away from each other" threads.

We are based in Northwest UK.
    I've got a small - medium backgarden in the middle of a town. I know my chickens can pass on disease to my quail. The chickens are loose, the quail are in a pen on the grass. I have limited space, so I make the best of it. We have rabbits to.

The quail are Jumbo coturnix & very friendly. The chickens are EE's & one pekin, again, friendly birds. Everything was home hatched & raised.

Anyway, whatever side of the pen my chickens are on, the quail have their faces pressed up against the wire. They will walk up & down the side where the chickens are & race around the pen when the chickens decide to race around the garden. The chickens used to view the quail as a meal, but now view them as fellow flock mates. All these birds are quite young.
    The chickens also keep roosting during the day on top of the quail pen. We have decided to get a clear tarp on the roof to prevent chicken mess dropping into the quail pen.

My questions are "How close is too close with chickens & quail?"

"living in the middle of town, are my birds less likely to catch & carry game bird diseases? There are no local farms."

"Do wild town birds carry gamebird diseases & if so which species is the most likely culprit out of the list below of my local bird species?"

Robin
    Blackbird
    Wood Pigeon
    Sparrows (occasional)
    Starlings (occasional)

Non of those birds even get close to the garden since the chickens chase out & terrorize the local birds if they try to stop by. Now nothing ever lands in the garden, not even on the fence or the sheds. The wild birds even avoid flying over the garden & tend to pass over the backs of the sheds at the bottom of the garden very fast.

I don't want my chickens to become carriers, so I'm trying to prevent the diseases even being picked up our animals in the first place. Apart from disease, I'd say the chickens & quail are fine. They absolutely cannot get at each other to cause injuries etc.

2. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    You shouldn't get any disease as biosecurity seems very tight within your flock. Most wild birds don't carry disease anyway. Whereabouts are yo in the UK. You dont often find a fellow byc member from england. I am from huddersfield.

3. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    We are by Chester.... I thought that myself, the diseases have to be transferred in & there's nowhere for them to come from.

Most of the people here are from the U.S, I think. With diseases & predators its a whole different story over there [​IMG] would never see a raccoon in my garden.

We don't even have any squirrels or foxes where we live [​IMG]its like a dead-zone.

4. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    your lucky not having foxes and squirrels. Only if I had that benefit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by