Gamebird starter for chicken chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chikndinner, May 11, 2011.

1. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Hi I have a whole bunch of 24% gamebird starter left over from the last batch of quail.

I also have some newly hatched chickens. Is it OK to feed the chicken chicks some of this??

Thanks

2. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    When I first started looking into raising chickens, I ran into a feed store manager who raises show birds. 30% game feed is all he feeds his birds. I posted about this awhile ago and found other people who do the same thing..people will say the extra protein goes to waste..nope...everyone who did it said their birds grew faster, stronger, with healthier feathers and I am seeing the same thing. In one week my chicks have full wing feathers and are like 6" high..it's crazy. They are doing very well on it.

3. mstrawn3

mstrawn3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Princeton, Texas
    I have raised them on both game bird starter and chick starter. The game bird starter is by far better. It is just more expensive to raise chicks on it. The birds I raised on it grew faster and had very shiny feathers. They also picked less at each other. If you take them off of it, do it gradually. The sudden drop in protien can cause them to pick and eat each others feathers... [​IMG]

4. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:I am lucky, the difference in cost here was only $2 for 50lb. I plan on keeping them on this as long as possible.

5. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I buy Blue Seal chick & gamebird starter.....all in one....so it shouldn't be a problem.

6. tkay6205

tkay6205 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Knottsville, KY
    I know this is a really old thread but I am curious about it. Any new input?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by