1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

gamefowl

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fowlsessed, Nov 24, 2011.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Are there any gamefowl, oriental or not, that can be freeranged in a flock. Roosters and hens. Without fighting constantly or to the death? I really like the asil, shamo, thai type chickens(the stance, body build and personality)but I don't think they do good in this kind of situation. Any that might do well? Other than the cubalaya and kraienkoppe. Thanks for your answers.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Nothing?

3. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    Quote:I free ranhe my moderns during the summer, jst no more than one cock at a time [​IMG]

4. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Yea, that is what I mean. I am going to have them all freerangeing together. All my cocks, all my hens. And they are all going to sleep in the same coop at night. Thanks for your response.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  5. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Will modern cocks fight to the death? And are they really fragile? that's what I've read.
    Quote:I free ranhe my moderns during the summer, jst no more than one cock at a time [​IMG]

6. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    And they don't do good in cold, right./

7. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    Quote:

Ya horrible in cold and they will fight and they are very fragile...

8. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    If they are true game fowl there can be only one. They will fight and kill till there is only one or possible none. I raised them for thirty some years and I found people that enjoyed them so put them on country walks. A cock and a few hens. That way more could be free ranged.

9. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    What do you mean by country walks?
    Quote:

10. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    it is just another farm of neighbor that will let you keep a few at their place. We referred to them as "walks". I used to raise a couple hundred stags and cocks a year and had plenty of people that would let me drop them off and then pick them up in the fall. There were a lot healthier than the ones raised in pens or on tie cords.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by