1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gamers--tips for Animal Crossing?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ninjapoodles, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    My daughter got Animal Crossing City Folk for the Wii for Christmas, and we are clueless, and the instructions are almost NO help. We've gotten her started pretty good, but there are things that we can't figure out, that are probably pretty simple, if we only knew.

City Folk is supposed to be the same as the previous Animal Crossing games, so anyone familiar with those should be able to provide us some good tips.

Like, how DO you build "the perfect snowman?" Ours are apparently not up to par, because when they start talking, they just complain about being ugly. [​IMG]

When is the best time to fish?

What is the secret to catching a bee without getting your face stung by the swarm?

What is the most advantageous way to interact with the other townsfolk?

HOW do you play the game online, or visit other towns?

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Oooh! Animal Crossing! I love this game. It's fun.

I have it for DS, so I should be able to provide you with some decent pointers.

One of the things I like best about this game is that it totally mimics real time and real seasons. You'll have ALL WINTER to practice building a snowman, because it won't be spring or summer in the game until spring or summer begins in real life. The game uses your Wii's internal clock to know what day and time it is. There will be special events -- like holidays and fishing tournaments -- that only happen once per year. (Of course, if you miss something, you CAN confuse the game by changing the date and time on your Wii -- but that's cheating! [​IMG] ).

As to your questions...

Snowmen just take practice. You'll get the hang of it. They need to be larger on the bottom than on top.

Fishing is best in the morning and at night.

Bees are annoying. If you can, dive into someone's house if you're being chased.

In order to visit other towns, you have to know someone else's "friend code" for the game (your friend you want to visit has to have the game and the Wii online, too, and has to be playing at the same time as you). I'm assuming there are some instructions for going online with that game for Wii. There should be a door somewhere where you can enter codes, etc.

If you visit someone else's town, you can get different fruit than what your town has. Plant some of their fruit in your town and then sell it at the store; it's worth more money.

If you don't have the shovel yet, get one. It's so useful for all sorts of things.

This is all I can think of for now. Go to Gamefaqs.com if you need more tips or a walkthrough.

3. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    ACK! I need someone to be my "friend" and gimme some non-native fruits so I can plant trees! (Not sure I wanna let 6yo daughter into the online community.)

City Folk is 100% compatible with the DS. When you start it up, you can choose "DS Suitcase" and transfer your DS game to the Wii. And you can also take your game with you to someone else's Wii and play...you just have to pack it up in your "suitcase." Cute, huh?

Yeah, I've seen some cheat sites that talk about "time traveling," but I don't want to get her started down that road. [​IMG]

So--the snowman is always just two balls? Not three?

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't have this game, but here's a link to a forum that also has a stickied posting with guides and a FAQ. May it will help. Good luck!

http://www.wiipals.net/Forum/f28/

5. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks, WW!

Something else I was wondering...

Can you have more than one "town" going at the same time? My daughter is really wanting to "visit" other places, give and receive mail/gifts, etc. from other towns, but we don't know anyone else who has the game.

It's really similar to Webkinz, with earning money, furnishing a home, having "friends" to communicate with, etc., but just a lot neater. Of course, she knows a million kids IRL who have Webkinz, so finding friends there isn't too tough.

6. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    No time traveling! it is a great responsibility! lol.

Send your animal neighbors some of your native fruit in the mail they should send you exotic fruit back also coconuts can wash up on the shore.

In 'Wild World" A perfect snow man is the bottom ball being up to your characters nose when standing behind it and the top ball just under the chin.

Different fish come out at different times depending on the time of year. the best times to fish are before 9am and after 4pm usually.

"City Folk" is compatible with the DS? [​IMG]
    AWESOME!

7. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    Also if your feeling lucky weild your net when the bees show up and try to catch one you'll most likely get stung but if you get one you can add it to the museum or sell it for some decent $$$$

8. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:We read that tip about sending fruit to your neighbors, so a couple days ago, we mailed a pear to every animal in town! Nothing yet. I'll watch for coconuts!

I'll definitely take the snowball tips to heart, and tell Bella--she'll be thrilled!

I'm guessing, based on the materials that came with the game, that ACCF was released for the DS first, and then the Wii. There is all kinds of stuff in there about transferring your "stuff" that you already have to the Wii. I got a DS Lite for free last year at a blogger's convention thingy (it was part of swag that everyone got), but all I have for it is Brain Age. I'm unclear as to what kind of software I'd have to have in order to switch the Wii stuff to the DS.

I read a tip that said to catch a bee, you knock down the hive, then continuously switch tools to keep the bees off you, until they swarm in front of your Mii, then use your net and catch one. Needless to say, we have NOT yet perfected that technique, and have been stung countless times! [​IMG]

9. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I pmed you...

We are in the same boat...

I just got my 7 year old this game.. Wii city folk.. (I am actually playing it more.. cant wait for them to go back to school LOL [​IMG] )

anyway.. our snowman is only two balls..

Our town fruit is oranges.. so we could trade.. [​IMG]

I also dont like the idea of trading my wii with strange people but from what I have read about you .. you seem very protective like I am with my kids.. KWIM..

Anyway PM me if you would like my Wii code... and we can go and visit..

LOL

10. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Yay! I just PMd you with friend codes. Our daughter is 6, so we're definitely in the same boat. And yes, her father and I are playing after she goes to bed at night. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by