games without killer instincts

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by fowlsessed, Nov 24, 2011.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Are there any game breeds that will not kill each other. I know of yokohamas, cubalayas and kraienkoppes. Any others? I know thats what makes them game, but like the ones I mentioned above, there are some that wont.

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:There is a difference between game and dead game, and you can find dead game in any game breed that has been breed for the traits desired. Some lines are not as teritorial as others its all based on selection over many generations.

It is not a breed thing its a line thing.

3. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Ok, so what about hatchery lines, like ideals, I'd say they would be on the calmer side. Am I right?

4. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Modern game and the leghorn (the real one).

5. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    What is a real leghorn?

6. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    I noticed you have a cornish. How does she forage compared to your other chickens?
    Quote:

7. FarmerGrant011

FarmerGrant011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    Quote:
    She is very good forager, but she is quite mean to the other chickens (well not anymore, but in the beginning) and now she just does everything a chicken should do.

8. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Ok, thanks.

9. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    All hatchery games should fair decently well, fowl, even the Old English from hatcheries or even breeders (though they should be) are not game in any sense of the word. I have heard the OEG from cackle can be aggressive towards people though and may show some aggression towards other birds; so I'd shy away from them for being aggressive towards people.

But generally; they would be Cubalaya, Kraienkoppe, Cornish (Indian Game), Modern's, some Old English, Sumatra's were once a game breed and can coexist quite well (I figured I would name them since they would fall generally into the same classes of all of the others), Yokohama, Orloffs are similar and carry Malay blood, probably a couple of others as well.

-Daniel

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by