Gamey mutt pullet started to lay a few weeks ago.. going broody now?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chido, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Chido

Chido Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    My mutt Rusty has been getting aggressive and she sits on her egg inside the coop every day for the last 3-4 days. We collect her egg everyday and get her out of the coop, then we close the door. She doesn't like it and is very vocal about it. Is it normal for a 9 month pullet that just started to lay to go broody so soon?

2. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    uhmm. im not an expert. but based on my experience, that can happen. im very happy back before when my first hen laid her first batch of eggs, i do collect them everyday but after her 8th egg.. she went broody.. and that's normal even for a hen that just started laying. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Chido

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    Thanks for letting me know. I still let her stay in the coop until noon in case she needs to lay, but after that I just grab her and nonchalantly put her on the ground and close the coop. She doesn't like that an gets all puffy and growls, but then joins the flock.

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    If she's a game or game mix...then it's absolutely normal. Those girls can be broody machines.

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:Agree. The youngest that I can remember to have them go broody was 6months. When they would go broody that young, it was almost always a good sign of a great momma hen in the making. They are many ways to break up a broody, if you don't want chicks or don't have a rooster. You could give her 1+ eggs and she would be happy. I have seen some hens sit on 18+ eggs at one time.

6. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    You shoudl talk to my pullet. At 8 months she went broody then when I gave her 2 eggs to hatch, we lost both chicks because she didnt get it she had to keep them warm. They got cold and died shortly after hatching. Now she is getting broody again. I dont want to see more chicks die.

7. Chido

Apr 16, 2011
    El Monte
    She's a game mix I think. We let her stay in the coop for a couple of hours in the morning but if there's no egg by 10 or 11, we get her out and close the coop. She goes back to normal as long as she can't get in the coop

This is the pullet in question, I have no idea exactly what mix of breeds she is.

[​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:x2

Even game mixes still get that broody streak and are momma machines!!

9. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    I was told my pullet looked like a OEGB mix. She started laying November 26th and went broody a few days before Christmas. She has been setting on eggs since Christmas eve! SO yeah, totally possible!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by