Gander Aggression durin breeding season.

Discussion in 'Geese' started by RAREROO, Dec 20, 2011.

1. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I'm trying to figure out how goose breeding pens would need to be set up. If the pens are side by side with only wire separate ing them, will ganders still try to fight with each other through the fence or would I need dividers that they can't see through ?

Or will two ganders tolerate each other at all during breeding season ? Say if I wanted two trios of the same breed, could both trios ( 2 males 4 females ) be kept together or would they need to be separated ?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    It would be better for all corncered If the pens were seperated.Fairly likely to fight through the fence but if they can't reach other there is likely to be a bunch of name calling, more then when they are together because the weaker gander will realize that the boss can't get at him and that will make him more bold. FYI the boss can be female. Twice I have had geese where the female chose who was going to mate her. she would teamup with her current boy friend to 'convince' the other gander that this was going to happen her way!
    Sorry no answer on the 2 trios question.

3. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    What about if a group of geese (for example purposes say 2 males and 2 females) grew up together, then were separated by wire (if they can still see each other) will the male and female in the same pen mate, even if they would rather pair with the one in the other pen?

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    When I try to seperate mine they get really upset. Its like breaking up a family. I have a few ganders and several geese and they do not fight. The girls do pick who they will let breed with them though, and its not necessarily the dominant gander.

If they are all the same breed I would let them stay as a group. They will all share brooding and rearing duties.

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Thanks but either way I would need to separate the different breeds/colors for breeding so while I may be able to keep two trios of the same breed and color together, I will still need to separate them and I don't have a lot of space for pens to be scattered everywhere, and plus it will take less fencing to have the pens side by side with dividers rather than multiple separated pens, so I would just have to dividers then that they can't see through so they don't know who is in the next pen if it doenst work out haveing them divided by a fence only.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by