Gander attacked by Neighbors dog! Please Advice

Discussion in 'Geese' started by EmAbTo48, Feb 12, 2013.

1. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    My gander was attacked about a half hour ago I looked outside since our geese were going nuts and our neighbors lab was in the pen with my pair!

The goose seems to have a cut under her leg a bit or a puncture wound I can't see that well but otherwise is just limping. And my Gander is totally punctured all over his back :(!!

What can I do to help them, what products bandages can I go buy?!!!!!!!!

My gander is wheezing and is unable to stand but is alert. I bathed them both together in our tub and have them in our bathroom under a heat lamp... I am praying my gander doesn't have a broken back!

Any advice on wound care PLEASE HELP!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If you have betadine water it down till it looks like weak tea and wash all their wounds with it. even soapy water will wash out the wounds if thats all you have. Be very careful not to over heat them. I'm so upset to hear this, I hope he makes it, they are tuff animals so hopefully he has a good chance. The hardest will be finding all the wounds with so many feathers, might want to consider a vet if you feel his life is in jeopardy. Is he bleeding? once you get him cleaned up and have found all the wounds Triple antibiotic or neosporin/with out pain relief will help with healing.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  3. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thank you!

Well the female has a cut right by her left leg and doesn't seem to want to bare to much weight on her leg. But otherwise she has no other cuts or anything THANK GOD!

I bought Blu-kote and loaded the back of my gander with it and put gauze on 2 deeper puncture wounds. I then lightly ace wrapped his wings together for now so their is no flaring around and keeping the wounds covered a bit. When I got home from getting the supplies he had stopped wheezing, and actually took in a bit of water which is a relieve. But he is not out of the woods at all. The wounds aren't to deep except for one that at first I thought he might have punctured his lung from the sounds of wheezing. He still is not standing by himself yet.

They both are in the nesting box in the shed where theirs a heat lamp and lots of fresh straw. I only gave them water (with some electorlytes) and will try feeding tomorrow. My other pair is next to them (they can't get to them) but they seemed a lot more relaxed "at home" being in the locked up in the shed in the box then being in the house with us.

I am praying to find both of them still alive tomorrow! Cross your fingers! '

By the way they are in a pen that has a 6ft fence around it. The dog jumped over the fence! We go a lot of snow just 2 days ago I think thats how he was able to leap over it. I think shoveling might be in cards around the fence so that can't happen again. But then again, my neighbor felt terrible he came running down yelling at the dog. I don't think he will be allowing his dogs off the chain for a while.

I find a good sign that both are a live right now. If it was really bad I think he would have passed already... but maybe not.

If anyone else has any suggestions on things to give him to keep him from infection I am all ears. I bought a lot of stuff. I am going to bathe him myself inside once a day and the blue kote will be going on daily.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well hopefully this morning the shock will have worn off and they will both be feeling better. The Blue Kote is good and keeping him clean will help to keep down infection too. I really like Veterycin spray it's for wounds and infection and it very safe to use on all parts of the body including around the face. it's a bit pricey but goes along way. and doesn't stain everything it comes in contact with. Please update when you can to let us know how they are. Thats amazing about the dog getting over that fence but like you say having that snow probably made it easier to get over. Thank goodness you were there to stop it before he killed them. Hoping for the best today.. [​IMG]

5. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    By the way dogs can climb up the dog kennels. Labs are known to do that if they want something bad enough or any dog medium sized or larger.
    So sorry this happen to your geese. The two are not oout of the woods yet on shock. I bought a sebastopol from Dave H and she was here for 2 months and she died of shock and a heart attack........ She was only 10 months old when I got her. So Please do keep an eye on the two of them for more than just a day. I baby my geese so I would rather over due then not.
    As Miss Lydia said keep them wounds clean and with antibiotics on them to keep infection down. Would be nice if you had some baytril to give them orally for infection.But you can only get that at the vets.

I think I would go to the vets just to make sure there is nothing broken. Then tell your neighbor that he can pay you for the vet bill.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Any update?

7. EmAbTo48

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    We don't use dog kennels. We have actual 6ft galavanized fencing its taller then me and my SO. I am still in shock of how the dog got over it but I watched it with my own eyes it running around the pen and leaping into it! I think he had to have just found the right patch of high enough snow to just leap in :(

Sadly, our gander passed away this morning while I held him. He must have had way more internal damage then I had thought. He quietly just stoppped breathing while I was petting him... such a sad thing to experience when you grow so close to an animal. My goose will be fine she is back to her old self and mad because I have her locked up to get her leg all healed up she is baring weight but has a puncture wound right under the leg that you can tell is bothering her.

However, now to find another gander is my only problem as I can't stick her in with my other geese as they are seperated for breeding. I just know she is going to become very lonely soon....

Thank you for the advice. My neighbor feels awful luckily these are people that care about what happens. He is going to pay to replace our gander. I will be putting electrical fencing up around the pen also.

It might be time to really think about getting a LGD around here!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am so sorry to hear you lost him. Glad to hear your neighbors are going to pay to get you another gander for your goose, glad she is on the mend.

9. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2011
    I'm very sorry for your loss. Hope you can find her a gander right away!

10. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    [​IMG] Very sorry for your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by