Gander attacked, killed, and buried another gander?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Dedle, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Dedle

Dedle New Egg

Nov 11, 2011
    A couple of days ago, I broke up a "fight" between two ganders. We had three males and three females. Everything seemed fine between the two for the past couple of days. This morning I went out to feed and found a huge pile of feathers under a trailer in the pasture. I noticed that the one that was attacked was missing and there was a mound of leaves next to the trailer. I got a rake and started to break apart the mound. I found the goose that had been attacked with its neck and back plucked clean and missing his head. I have never experienced this and have had geese all my life. They had all been together since they were babies. I have never seen a goose bury their own or even attack and kill one of their own in such a vicious way. Has anyone else every experienced this?

Thanks.

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I am betting it was a different predator, and that predator buried it to save it for later...

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:X2, so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:X 3 I'd be concerned about the safety of your remaining geese.

[​IMG] wish it were under better circumstances.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:X 3 I'd be concerned about the safety of your remaining geese.

[​IMG] wish it were under better circumstances.

So true sourland and [​IMG] too sorry i forgot to say.

6. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Very sorry to hear that but like all the other members I too think its a predator. The fact the head is missing and the body has been concealed is pretty good evidence.

Best of luck with the rest of your stock but you now need to take measures against another attack.

Pete

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I am so sorry to hear that. [​IMG]. That is just horrible. Whatever did that will be back. You will need to protect the others from this predator. Not sure what would bury it though.

8. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Not sure what predators are in your area but here in the UK its mainly foxes. If the body's too big they'll struggle to carry it off and bury it. A fox will often kill and carry off the bird, bury it as a food store then return for the next body and do the same. Often that behaviour is not seen as the disturbance alerts owners or dogs so the fox carries off only one of its kill.

Pete [​IMG]

9. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I agree with Pete it sounds like a fox.

10. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:FOX coyote or a dog. Taking the head sounds like a fox but hawks and owls do that too. hiding the body is also a common act for anything that can't manage to carry it off so they hide it from other animals and sneak back for more feeding. Usually only the dog family truly digs in the ground but others will get it out of view. If you use traps the body makes good bait because the one that killed it knows where to look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by