1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gander cracking eggs open

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bramblefir, Feb 24, 2016.

1. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    A few weeks ago our duck started laying. We got 4 eggs from her and found a piece of the 5th in their pen which they share with our pair of geese. Last night we put 5 chicken eggs in their pen to see if they disappeared and this morning all that remained was a bit of shell. This evening I put in 1 chicken egg after bringing them in for the night. The gander walked over, cracked it open, and then left it for the ducks to eat. The ducks weren't interested in the egg until he opened it. The goose wasn't interested in it either, but did scold the gander when he cracked it.

Do you think he'll crack open the goose eggs when his mate starts laying? We've moved the ducks into the chicken coop and we'll be putting them in separate pastures.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good idea to move everyone out of where the geese are, No I don't think he'll crack open the goose eggs because he knows they are hers.I've never heard of one doing it anyway.
    Ganders and even females can get pretty ornery once breeding, laying and brooding starts so always best to let ducks and chickens be able to stay out of their way.

3. bramblefir

bramblefir Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Thanks for the response! We're getting duck eggs again since separating them and the geese seem quite happy being moved to the alpaca pasture. Our crias (baby alpacas) are having fun seeing how close they can get the gander before being chased off.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh those ganders they do love a good chase. I bet it's a hoot. You'll have to post some pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by